KDE Visual Design Group/Plasma 5.18 Wallpaper Competition
Submit your designs to the subforum we have set up for the competition.
- The deadline for submissions is midnight (UTC) on 15/01/2020.
- The design of your wallpaper must be original and created specifically for the contest.
- The design of your wallpaper must be released to KDE under the CC-BY-SA-4.0 license.
- You can submit up to 3 entries.
- Image files must be in PNG format, preferably accompanied by the source files in a non-proprietary format (Inkscape-compatible SVG, blend, kra, xfc, etc.).
- The minimum size for your submission must be 4K (3840x2160), although 5K (5120x2880) is preferred. Optionally, a phone-sized (1080x2280) wallpaper for Plasma Mobile can also be submitted.
- Image files must be hosted on an external (non-KDE) site. Note that Imgur is not suitable as it secretly converts large PNG images to JPG.
- The organisers will disqualify and erase any entry that is racist, sexist, demeaning or inappropriate in any way. Disqualifications and deletions are final and cannot be appealed.
Design guidelines and suggestions
- Consider a wallpaper that provides a sense of continuity with the current "Ice Cold" wallpaper. It should feel natural that your wallpaper comes next in a visual story.
- Don't add the Plasma version number into your wallpaper.
- Any words or logos (such as the Plasma logo) should be tastefully integrated into the design of the wallpaper itself, not just added on top as text.
Previous wallpapers, made by the artists Ken Vermette and Santiago César, can be found on this page. The six most recent are shown below for inspiration:
A jury made up of members of KDE's Visual Design Group (VDG) and other KDE community members will decide the winner one week after all entries have been submitted. There will be only one winning wallpaper, but wven if your work is not picked as the default wallpaper, your submission may still be included as an optional wallpaper in Plasma 5.18 or used with future releases. The decision of the jury is final.
WORK IN PROGRESS! But it will be very cool. :)
Help and Feedback
You can ask the VDG for help and feedback any time during the competition! Just join the #kde-vdg channel on Matrix or the freenode IRC channel (which is bridged to the VDG Telegram room, if you prefer Telegram).
Also check out the discussion in the competition's subforum to get tips and feedback.