The Style layer is concerned with emotion, tone, and visual vocabulary. Because it is the most visible and concrete aspect of an interface, it typically accounts for people’s first impression of a product. Style is influenced by the use of color,the design of icons throughout the interface and the use of typography. Elements of style support Organization, Viewing and Navigation, Editing and Manipulation and User Assistance.
Elements of Style
- Theme - Use the default theme.
- Colors - Use colors consistently.
- Icons - Icon design and use should be consistent throughout the interface.
- Typography - Treat typography with the same care as any other aspect of the visual design.
- Animations - Restrain the use of animations to communicate transitions that would otherwise be difficult to discern by the user.