< KDE PIM | Meetings
Revision as of 13:33, 26 February 2011 by Mahoutsukai (add info about PIM BoF at Akademy 2005)
Akademy 2005 in Malaga yielded a number of important decisions related to KDE4 and KDE PIM. These are explained below.
KDE PIM BoF Minutes
- Porting to Qt4/KDE4
- Merging Branches
- Groupware Server
- Offline Mode for KMail/etc
- 3.5 usability emergency surgery
Porting to Qt4/KDE4
- Check diff between 3.5 branch port and trunk (Ingo)
- Copy 3.5 to trunk (danimo)
- Merge Getting things done (SoC), kalle and proko2 changes
- Open trunk for KDE4 development
- use kdelibs from before the restructuring of libs
- Goal: Do library mode, more kdepim libs tgo kdelibs
- Start now
- SoC branches
- Scripting (merge later)
- Getting things done (merge to trunk after copying)
- Living KDE (merge later)
- Proko2 (till needs to merge 2-3 patches)
- Kalle (no problem)
- OpenSync branch (no problem, merge later)
- KoPI branch (carefully migrate individual patches)
- Two porting strategies
- Tag of current kde libs and port pim based on this tag
- "Wildwest" based on current trunk (risky)
=> we'll for now go with the tagged version, but want to switch later to seize the possiblity of taking influence in lib development
- libkabc (e.g. async loading)
- stabilize libkcal (Reinhold)
- General access to PIMdata between KDE PIM applications
- Design APIs (Cross-Desktop, Evo DS, etc., check Evolution IPC, maybe use DBUS)
- UI redesign for resources, multiple calenders
- OpenSync meeting held before aKademy: Armin Bauer, Cornelius Schumacher, Holger Freyther and Tobias König attended.
- Goal: make OpenSync standard on the Linux desktop
- OpenSync is the successor to MultiSync. They have separated the GUI and the backend.
- written in C and glib internally
- C++/Qt wrapper
- KDE GUI
- KDE PIM plugin (in branch)
- Existing Plugins
- "KDE is the best GUI implementation" (Cornelius)
- OpenSync is the way to go
- New KitcheSync will replace KitchenSync, KSync, Kandy (which will not be ported to trunk), and eventually KPilot
- Till says "make a fuss on the dot, send clear message that KDE has decided to move to OpenSync"
- Will asked "should we use OpenSync for syncing resources and groupware servers" -- "No because specialized sync algorithms can do a better job, risk of dataloss if the index is broken, however some features of OpenSync are attractive, we should try to provide better groupware middleware and reduce code duplication"
- Get rid of all of the half-working Exchange connectors, reason: we don't have either vendor support nor resources to do it properly, so better not support it. Still possible to readd it, if somebody commits to it fulltime.
- Result: Disable from compilation in 3.5, remove in 4.0
- Stress commercial support makes effective groupware resources possible.
- Concentrate on working resources
- IM, VoIP, other messaging important to KDE PIM
- improve integration of messaging - kopete, kcall, etc
- consider move of kopete to KDE PIM - consult kopete devs
- reconsider KIMProxy design, esp. wrt DBUS and standardization
- Will leads the way
- Integrating Kopete into kdepim?
Offlinemode in KMail/etc.
- Abstraction of KMail backend
- General offline mode (multiple online modes)
- Osnabrück 4 would be a great idea (Jan 06)
- Alternative: Chemnitz (March 06)
- Possibly: KDE-NL again
- probably no need for further meetings this year
- raise awareness that KDE has strong commercial support
- PR for existing collaborations
- Joint announcements
- Get KDE PIM supporters into KDE e.V.
- split into developer/community and user/promo site has succeeded.
- Need artists (ask inside Novell?, Will)
- Need webmaster (IRC? Users List?) (danimo)
- Direction is ok
- kde-artists doesn't seem to work for us
- Oxygen for 4.0
- Keep what we have for 3.5 (unless we can get something really better)
- KitchenSync release beginning next year (with OpenSync 1.0)
- SoC : GTD, maybe more
- Coordinate with other modules
3.5. usability emergency surgery
- Some small improvements (usability)
- Resource selector improvements needed in KOrganizer and KAB
- Talk to the usability people
- Fix mailloss bug (Online IMAP)
- Everyone: please look for things that are obviously horrible, by starting a session with a clean .kde/
This page was last edited on 26 February 2011, at 13:33. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.