The KHolidays Library
The KHolidays library in kdepimlibs provides details on public holidays for a given country and date range. A separate library and file format is required as iCalendar is not capable of expressing recurrence rules for all possible holidays.
The following development plan is designed to become a Freedesktop.org project so that the maintenance burden can be shared with Gnome and any other interested parties. A proposal will be presented at the Berlin Desktop Summit in August 2011.
- Design a new XML based file format
- Convert KDE files to new format
- Implement a base C (?) library to parse the XML file and calculate the holidays, will include calendar systems if not in glibc by then. No desktop specific code allowed, i.e. to be equivalent to libical.
- Implement a pure Qt library to wrap the C library in kdesupport
- Implement an Akonadi resource