KDE Games/IRC Meetings/2008-03-16-log

From KDE Community Wiki
Revision as of 21:32, 16 March 2008 by Piacentini (talk | contribs) (New page: <code> You changed the topic to "KDE Games meeting: agenda at http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/IRC_Meeting". [5:00pm] josef|samba: meeting starting now! [5:00pm] mikelima: all right....)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.

You changed the topic to "KDE Games meeting: agenda at http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/IRC_Meeting". [5:00pm] josef|samba: meeting starting now! [5:00pm] mikelima: all right. [5:01pm] tsdgeos: wooo [5:01pm] tsdgeos: and i'm here [5:01pm] DrIDK-ready: da [5:01pm] piacentini: hi people [5:01pm] majewsky: me too [5:01pm] piacentini: so, agenda is at the topic [5:01pm] piacentini: http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/IRC_Meeting [5:01pm] piacentini: anyone new here that wants to introduce hiself or herself? Please do [5:02pm] annma joined the chat room. [5:02pm] piacentini: Feature plan link is at http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Schedules/KDE4/4.1_Feature_Plan [5:02pm] majewsky: If you mean "new" in the sense of "did not participate in any meetings up to now": I'm Stefan Majewsky, and I've developed KDiamond. [5:03pm] piacentini: Glad to meet you again online, Stefan [5:03pm] milliams: Welcome majewsky [5:03pm] piacentini: A couple of reminders: [5:03pm] majewsky: piacentini: Have been busy preparing my exams in April. [5:03pm] piacentini: The feature plan link above needs to be completed before Aprl 7 [5:04pm] piacentini: april 7th, for the KDE 4.1 soft feature freeze [5:04pm] piacentini: anything not on the table does not go in for 4.1 [5:04pm] tsdgeos: the table, not the feature itself [5:04pm] mikelima: ...and if a feature can't be completed it's not a problem. [5:04pm] mikelima: So better adding something more than leaving out something. [5:04pm] piacentini: yes, thanks for the clarifications [5:05pm] piacentini: The full release schedule link is at http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Schedules/KDE4/4.1_Release_Schedule#April_7th.2C_2008:_Soft_Feature_Freeze [5:05pm] annma left the chat room. (Remote closed the connection) [5:05pm] josef|samba: compared to some other modules, there's really some drive behind the kdegames changes [5:05pm] ianw: Hello ... ? [5:05pm] piacentini: Hi, josef, Ian [5:06pm] piacentini: So, I propose we start the meeting by following the agenda AND the feature table [5:06pm] mkbart: Ok, me too. [5:06pm] DrIDK-ready: piacentini: ok [5:07pm] mikelima: sure. [5:07pm] majewsky: ok [5:07pm] piacentini: So, two topics: GGZ/multiplayer and KNS [5:07pm] DrIDK-ready: KNS = ? [5:07pm] majewsky: KNewStuff [5:07pm] josef|samba: that would be me for a start [5:07pm] piacentini: KnewStuff2, also GHNS [5:07pm] piacentini: sure, josef [5:08pm] milliams: (also DXS I believe) [5:08pm] piacentini: BTW, Josef will be in Brazil for FISL next month [5:08pm] josef|samba: so basically I'm working on the kggzcore library and some first GUI elements to introduce the successor to the KGGZ core client [5:08pm] piacentini: So we can maybe meet and even do some code there, something to keep in mind. go on [5:08pm] josef|samba: here's a nice screenshot of today: roomslist.png [5:09pm] josef|samba: the basics are working already, and it will help people like DrIDK-ready who want to launch GGZ from within their games, in addition to launching the games from GGZ [5:09pm] DrIDK-ready is now known as DrIDK. [5:10pm] DrIDK: [5:10pm] piacentini: I am not working on any multiplayer-enabled game at this time. Do you think we will have other games ready to use this in 4.1? [5:10pm] piacentini: (other than kreversi, kbattleship, ksquares) [5:10pm] josef|samba: well I want to finish KSquares, and also improve the currently existing ones (kreversi & kbattleship) [5:11pm] josef|samba: if there's time, I want to look at KFourInLines, as there's already a server for it [5:11pm] mikelima: josef|samba: good plan [5:11pm] piacentini: cool, josef. Maybe if you find it necessary, post to the mailing list requesting help [5:11pm] piacentini: Not sure if there are people willing to help or learn the basics of GGZ, would not hurt to try [5:12pm] josef|samba: most of the time I'm working on server-side GGZ, for example you can now create new game configurations on the fly through the web frontend and have such games ranked etc. [5:12pm] josef|samba: also, interrupted games are restarted automatically, another new feature [5:13pm] josef|samba: that's it for multiplayer for today [5:13pm] DrIDK: About Network Games, what do you think about a server with all hight score ? [5:13pm] piacentini: Good update. Now to KNS? [5:13pm] majewsky: Highscores would be interesting for me too. [5:13pm] ruphy joined the chat room. [5:13pm] josef|samba: DrIDK: we've proposed that as a GSoC task and will know by tomorrow whether they accept us [5:14pm] DrIDK: GSoC = ? [5:14pm] piacentini: Google summer of code [5:14pm] mkbart: Google summer of Code [5:14pm] josef|samba: http://code.google.com/soc/2008/ [5:14pm] DrIDK: ok [5:14pm] majewsky: Sounds good. [5:14pm] piacentini: Now to KNS [5:15pm] ianw: Is there a server for KNS and highscores? [5:15pm] piacentini: Any new work on this front? I think we should start by providing some downloadable themes on games.kde.org [5:15pm] mikelima: Yes, are there news on KNS? [5:15pm] piacentini: ianw: the idea for now (please correct me if I am wrong) [5:15pm] piacentini: Is to use games.kde.org at least to start (for downloads) [5:16pm] ianw: OK [5:16pm] piacentini: And online highscores would be better integrated via GGZ for now? [5:16pm] josef|samba: jpwhiting told me today that the cache handling isn't fully working yet, but other than that there's nothing which should hold anyone back with adding KNS to games! [5:16pm] piacentini: KGoldrunner could be a candidate, perhaps? I see it is listed in the feature plan [5:17pm] • josef|samba looks to mikelima [5:17pm] mikelima: Well, yes, I wanted to do that... but I'm not sure I'll have the time. [5:17pm] piacentini: Best would be to reenable the theme downloading integrations in KGameThemeSelector [5:17pm] josef|samba: yeah, themes and levels will be the strong use cases [5:17pm] piacentini: I *could* try to do it for KBlocks, but this last 3 weeks I was unable to work on it other than minor fixes [5:17pm] mikelima: I'd need to add a theme selector like in kmahjongg... [5:18pm] ianw: I'm short of time for KGoldrunner too, busy on Kubrick [5:18pm] piacentini: But my plan is to finish the score/points and move it to kdereview until the end of the week at most [5:18pm] majewsky: KDiamond already supports themes. How much has to be down to get full KNS support at games.kde.org? There has to be a web interface for uploading themes. [5:18pm] mikelima: And I'm in the middle of a job/town change, soi it's not the best of time. [5:18pm] piacentini: majewsky: do you have the GET NEW THEME button in your theme selector? I think it is enabled by a flag [5:18pm] piacentini: in the KGameThemeSelector constructor [5:19pm] josef|samba: majewsky: uploading is integrated in KNS, you just have to connect the uploader to your level editor, but there's also a (unmaintained) web interface available in the hotstuff software [5:19pm] majewsky: I do not have it enabled yet. How does it find out where to get themes? [5:20pm] josef|samba: you tell it so by installing a *.knsrc file into KDE's config directory [5:20pm] piacentini: josef can help, but there is a knrs file [5:20pm] mkbart: And how about KNewWalk being themeable? [5:20pm] piacentini: So, in theory, it should simply work? [5:20pm] josef|samba: documentation: trunk/kdelibs/knewstuff/doc/*.txt [5:20pm] piacentini: mkbart: also in the feature plan, but we need more themes for it. Are you planning to help with it? [5:20pm] josef|samba: yes, it works... for a test repository I can always create some at data.kstuff.org which the game maintainer can then control through SVN [5:21pm] mkbart: piacentini: Yes, i can do the themes [5:21pm] mkbart: piacentini: I also made one more for KSame [5:21pm] piacentini: mkbart: so maybe contact Fela via the mailing list, and coordinate this? [5:22pm] mkbart: piacentini: Is he somethimes here on channel? [5:22pm] piacentini: sometimes [5:22pm] mkbart: Ok, I'll contact him [5:22pm] piacentini: mkbart: btw, for KSame, we need to implement the theme selector as well I think [5:22pm] mkbart: piacentini: yes [5:22pm] piacentini: After the meeting, I will post the minutes to the techbase page [5:23pm] piacentini: And maybe post a todo list to the mailing list with these tasks [5:23pm] piacentini: So those who want to help can get started [5:23pm] ianw: Does KSame have selectors for board size and no. of colors now? [5:24pm] piacentini: ianw: not yet [5:24pm] piacentini: mkbart: you simply replaced the default oxygen theme, right? [5:24pm] piacentini: for KSame, I mean [5:24pm] mkbart: piacentini: It's told me to do that [5:24pm] ianw: We were going to make that the replacement for Klickety ... <reminder> [5:24pm] mkbart: piacentini: The old one is still able [5:24pm] mkbart: *It-s [5:25pm] piacentini: OK, I am just thinking that we could keep both, and add the selector [5:25pm] mkbart: Exactly [5:25pm] piacentini: and the options as well, as Ian pointed out [5:25pm] piacentini: But, there has been no activity in KSame code for almost an year I think [5:25pm] mkbart: Who is the author? [5:26pm] piacentini: Henrique Pinto did the KDE4 port, but he is probably too busy right now [5:26pm] mikelima: It should not be hard to add a theme submenu and scan for the available themes... [5:26pm] piacentini: If someone here wants to volunteer to help, please do. I will add this to our todo list [5:27pm] piacentini: So, new games, quick update on them? [5:27pm] piacentini: Kubrick? [5:27pm] majewsky: I# [5:27pm] piacentini: and KDiamond? [5:27pm] ianw: Sent a big email about Kubrick earlier. [5:27pm] majewsky: I'm ready to move KDiamond to trunk/KDE/kdegames if there are no objections. [5:27pm] piacentini: ok, first kubrick then [5:28pm] ianw: Still about a month to go on Kubrick ... [5:28pm] DrIDK: majewsky: in Kdiamond, they are a lot a unuse space [5:28pm] piacentini: tsdgeos, pinotree: do we need to be in kdegames before April 7th? [5:28pm] majewsky: DrlDK: You mean that space at the border? [5:29pm] piacentini: or can we be in playground/kdereview? [5:29pm] stephaniewhiting: sorry, I am here [5:29pm] DrIDK: majewsky: by default the windows is too big [5:29pm] stephaniewhiting is now known as jpwhiting. [5:29pm] majewsky: DrlDK: In which sense? [5:29pm] jpwhiting: piacentini: yes, kns is fine for downloads as is [5:29pm] piacentini: cool jeremy. Have a quick glance at the history, and please let us know if there is anything related to KNS [5:29pm] piacentini: cool, that is good for now [5:30pm] piacentini: We need to start using it. Downloading in 4.1 at least [5:30pm] DrIDK: majewsky: When I start the game , I have a lot of space in left/right border [5:30pm] mkbart: majewski: kdiamond.png [5:30pm] DrIDK: majewsky: then I always have to resize the windows [5:30pm] piacentini: Let us keep the discussion on topic for now, please? [5:31pm] jpwhiting: piacentini: yes [5:31pm] piacentini: Following the agenda at first [5:31pm] jpwhiting: piacentini: looks fine to me [5:31pm] emilsedgh joined the chat room. [5:31pm] • majewsky deletes my kdiamondrc to have a look at the default sizes [5:31pm] majewsky: I see. That goes to my todo list. [5:31pm] piacentini: K, so about kubrick. Ian, your email is pretty complete [5:31pm] piacentini: anything else you want to add? [5:32pm] ianw: Mainly a Singmaster move textbox ... will be tricky though. [5:32pm] piacentini: Well, I think we should start planning the moves to kdereview and kdegames [5:32pm] piacentini: So, for KDiamond [5:33pm] ianw: Otherwise cosmetics including anti-aliasing [5:33pm] piacentini: Anyone against moving it to kdegames now? I think it should go in, already passed the kdereview stage, could continue to mature in trunk [5:33pm] ianw: Which game is "it"? [5:34pm] piacentini: Sorry, Ian. For Kubrick, I think you should move it to kdereview if there are no objections [5:34pm] CIA-26: ilic * r786349 internal/trunk/l10n-kde4/templates/internal/docmessages/ (18 files in 6 dirs): SVN_SILENT: Doc summit reorder. [5:34pm] piacentini: For KDiamond, I think it could move to kdegames [5:34pm] piacentini: (as it has spent some time in review already) [5:34pm] milliams: No objection from me [5:34pm] majewsky: Do I have to move all translations manually or can Scripty take care of that somehow? [5:35pm] ianw: OK to both Mauricio's suggestions. [5:35pm] mikelima: piacentini: sure it's nice. [5:35pm] piacentini: majewsky: I do not know, could you maybe contact Albert (tsdgeos) about it? [5:35pm] majewsky: piacentini: Okay, he'll know best. [5:36pm] piacentini: Other games in queue: [5:36pm] piacentini: KBreakout is also from Fela. [5:36pm] piacentini: KBlocks I am planning to move to kdereview until the next weekend [5:36pm] emilsedgh: which game wants get in the module? kdiamond? i have to add it to website [5:36pm] piacentini: (so we have 2 weeks in review before April 7th) [5:36pm] majewsky: emilsedgh: Right, it's KDiamond. [5:36pm] majewsky: I'm moving it at the moment. [5:37pm] emilsedgh: majewsky: congrats [5:37pm] piacentini: Ian: are you ok with going to kdereview before the next weekend? [5:37pm] emilsedgh: any other game has being entered since 4.0? kollision? [5:37pm] piacentini: for kubrick? [5:37pm] ianw: I think Apr 7 is just a *soft* freeze, for stuff not previously announced in the feature list ... ? [5:38pm] DrIDK: kollision.... my favorite games! [5:38pm] piacentini: ianw: I do not want to take risks this time. We missed a lot of games in 4.0 due to following the rules strictly [5:38pm] ianw: Yeah, I think I could get to kedreview then, but would rather shoot for the May hard-freeze. [5:38pm] piacentini: To me, soft freeze means that apps need to be in place and feature set needs to be committed [5:39pm] piacentini: ianw: so, let us do it this way: [5:39pm] CIA-26: majewsky * r786350 /trunk/ (4 files in 4 dirs): Move KDiamond from kdereview to kdegames module. (Messages missing.) [5:39pm] piacentini: I will consult the release team list about this specifically (whether we need to be in kdereview or kdegames) [5:39pm] piacentini: And will post until Wednesday to the mailing list [5:40pm] ianw: Thanks, Mauricio [5:40pm] piacentini: I think KBlocks, Kubrick, Kollision and KBreakOut at least need to be in 4.1 [5:40pm] piacentini: And probably also Ksirk and pakman if possible [5:41pm] piacentini: OK, so I think I need to have a look at this before we continue to discuss the moves. Let us postpone the decision to the middle of the week. [5:41pm] mikelima: uhm... pakman does not look finished... [5:41pm] emilsedgh: (last time i played kbreakout, levels were not enough) [5:42pm] piacentini: emilsedgh, mikelima: I know. But I would prefer to cut things one week before release if they are not finished [5:42pm] emilsedgh: ok, nice [5:42pm] piacentini: And not cut things right now just because we are one of the two only modules that follow the schedules [5:42pm] majewsky: piacentini: What module is the other one? (Just for interest.) [5:43pm] mikelima: uhm, ok, if you prefer so... [5:43pm] piacentini: kdeedu imo [5:43pm] emilsedgh: so, im not going to add game packages to site for now, because things might change until release time [5:43pm] piacentini: mikelima: Because if people KNOW that their game (pakman for example) will only have a chance of going in in 4.2, they loose interest in completing it [5:43pm] Porkotron is now known as Parkotron. [5:43pm] piacentini: emilsedgh: yes, sure. Wait and keep the surprises for 4.1 [5:44pm] gurumeditationer joined the chat room. [5:44pm] mikelima: well, I can understand that... but once the game is in, it can be a burden for all kdegames developers... [5:44pm] piacentini: mikelima: agreed. How can we handle this? [5:44pm] piacentini: My proposal is that they are not really *in* until we release 4.1 [5:44pm] mikelima: And it's harder to take it out. People would complain. [5:45pm] piacentini: So we can remove them one month before the release back to playground for example, like we did with kbackgammon [5:45pm] mikelima: Yes, that could work. [5:46pm] piacentini: So, two other topics in the agenda: sound and themes, and setup keys/joypad/mouse [5:46pm] piacentini: About the setup first [5:46pm] DrIDK: ok, this is my idea [5:46pm] piacentini: Who proposed it? Anyone willing to work on it? [5:46pm] DrIDK: Me [5:46pm] piacentini: OK, explain it to us! [5:47pm] mikelima: How would that work? Joysticks events are not part of Qt event system. [5:47pm] DrIDK: I think Kshortcut Way for config hight control game is not easy [5:47pm] DrIDK: I want to create hight level of Control game config [5:47pm] mikelima: I'd love to have joystick working in kgoldrunner... Great for "historical" gaming [5:48pm] DrIDK: Exemple : if you I want move my mario with joystick, and shoot with mouse click [5:48pm] DrIDK: So, I want to create a same Control config like all of "big game" [5:49pm] DrIDK: If I press a KEY / JOYPAD / Mouse , the widget Get the control [5:49pm] piacentini: One suggestion: maybe you can implement this as a set of classes/widgets on ONE game (maybe KTanks?) and then if it works we can review/abstract it to libkdegames classes, and other games can pick it up [5:49pm] piacentini: Sort of like we did with KGameTheme and others [5:49pm] mikelima: DrIDK: but how would input handling work? [5:49pm] ianw: How about multiple inputs,DrIDK? Someone proposed catch-as-catch-can KGoldrunner ... [5:50pm] DrIDK: piacentini: Yes it was my idea. First I will create it for ktank. [5:50pm] piacentini: this is a good way to test these concepts and know if/how they work, and then game authors can implement them later (think KGamePopupItem, KScoreDialog, etc) [5:50pm] piacentini: Cool. I see others have suggestions for it, could be a nice project [5:51pm] DrIDK: so, Otherwise, I propose my KGLKeyControl for have direct input without the "delay key" [5:52pm] DrIDK: ianw: what do you mean by catch as catche ? [5:52pm] milliams: (majewsky: compile error in kdegames at http://developer.kde.org/~dirk/dashboard/) [5:52pm] DrIDK: ianw: I am french.. [5:52pm] ianw: One human player is the hero another is the enemy ... [5:52pm] mikelima: DrIDK: can you write up an article on joypad support for techbase/the list? [5:53pm] DrIDK: mikelima: eh... I never try to control Joypad with kde4 exept with SDL [5:53pm] josef|samba: my kdiamond also didn't compile [5:53pm] ianw: L'un est l'hero, l'autre est l'ennemi ... [5:53pm] DrIDK: mikelima: but, I can write all you want [5:54pm] majewsky: milliams: Working on it. [5:54pm] DrIDK: ianw: oh! so It will possible with multiple control and with my key class [5:54pm] milliams: (majewsky: cool. You just need to link against libkdegames) [5:54pm] ianw: Yay .... but hard to program in the game logic maybe ... [5:55pm] DrIDK: ianw: wait I show you a part of my code [5:56pm] piacentini: Guys, there is just one other item on the agenda, sounds and themes discussion. I propose we engage now in this free-form discussion for these two themes (with joystick support), as the rest is covered [5:56pm] DrIDK: http://rafb.net/p/4JoiL044.html [5:56pm] mikelima: piacentini: I agree. [5:56pm] piacentini: And the more "formal" part of the meeting is over now, I will post a summary to the ml during the next few days