KDE Games/IRC Meetings/2008-02-02-log

From KDE Community Wiki
The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.

[09:50am] milliams joined the chat room. [09:51am] pcapriotti joined the chat room. [09:55am] mezz_kolf joined the chat room. [09:57am] DrIDK joined the chat room. [09:58am] piacentini: 2 minutes! [09:58am] tsdgeos: ready.... [09:58am] piacentini: is eugene here? [09:59am] piacentini: http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/Games/IRC_Meeting#Agenda [10:00am] You changed the topic to "KDE Games February 2008 meeting in progress". [10:00am] josel_: good morning [10:00am] josel_ is now known as josel. [10:00am] piacentini: Hi. People that are here live (and not logging) please say hi and a quick intro if you are new to these meetings [10:01am] piacentini: Mauricio Piacentini (hi) working with KMahjongg/KMines [10:01am] DrIDK: hi working int ktank [10:01am] ann_lunch is now known as annma. [10:01am] mezz_kolf: hi, Paul Broadbent, working on Kolf [10:02am] josel: hi, Johannes Bergmeier, working on KSudoku [10:02am] ikit: hi, working on Ktank [10:02am] milliams: Matt Williams, working on KSquares mostly [10:02am] You changed the topic to "KDE Games Feb 2008 meeting in progress, agenda at http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/Games/IRC_Meeting#Agenda". [10:03am] piacentini: Also, please check the agenda link [10:03am] tsdgeos: albert astals, kiriki, ktuberling [10:03am] mikelima: hi, Luciano Montanaro, working on KGoldrunner [10:04am] piacentini: Looks like Eugene and Ian could not make it yet, but let us start anyway [10:04am] piacentini: Big agenda [10:04am] tsdgeos: yeah [10:04am] tsdgeos: too big [10:05am] piacentini: I think we could start by the smaller and more concrete steps [10:05am] piacentini: and then move up to the discussion of more complex topics [10:05am] piacentini: First topic: new games in consideration for 4.1 [10:05am] tsdgeos: who wants to get in? [10:05am] piacentini: Deadline iirc is March 31 [10:05am] tsdgeos: yeah [10:06am] piacentini: Which means March 14 in kdereview at most [10:06am] tsdgeos: sortof [10:06am] milliams: Will kblocks be ready? [10:06am] piacentini: So... I think Ksirk was a candidate. [10:06am] piacentini: milliams: yes [10:06am] piacentini: milliams: regarding KBlocks: I am waiting for widgets on canvas to land on qt-copy [10:06am] piacentini: Thiago mentioned that there was a plan to update qt-copy to 4.4 beta in about 10 days [10:07am] milliams: piacentini: thiago said that should happen within a week or two [10:07am] piacentini: I figure it out that I waited this long basically to get the score displaying in-game, let us do it properly [10:07am] pcapriotti: hi, I'm a bit late... Paolo Capriotti, kbattleship maintainer [10:07am] piacentini: And if it does not work, is ugly, or does not have good usability or performance, I will move it back to the statusbar, and finish the rest of the implementation (whic is more or less complete.) [10:08am] milliams: Excellent [10:08am] piacentini: So my target is end of February to move KBlocks to kdereview [10:08am] tsdgeos: mexican wave oO0OooO0OooO0OooO0OooO0OooO0Oo [10:08am] ratt joined the chat room. [10:08am] piacentini: Feature set: single player, implemente woc, experiment with dynamic layout dictated by the svg theme, KGameDifficulty, and (big if) KNewStuff [10:09am] piacentini: So: as we are talking about qt-copy and 4.4, this is also in the agenda [10:09am] CIA-24: aacid * r769912 kapman/trunk/playground/games/kapman/CMakeLists.txt: fix tests linking [10:09am] mikelima: piacentini: do you plan a two player mode? [10:09am] piacentini: Are there other games that plan to use 4.4 features [10:09am] piacentini: mikelima: no [10:09am] piacentini: mikelima: maybe in the future, but I do not see really a big need for it now [10:10am] DrIDK: what's new features in qt 4.4 ? [10:10am] pcapriotti: I'll probably experiment with widget on canvases for kbattleship's welcome screen [10:10am] mikelima: piacentini: Ok. [10:10am] milliams: piacentini: I think that if WoC high-scores work well, they should be used where appropriate in other games. [10:10am] piacentini: DrIDK: of interest to games, mostly widgets on canvas I think [10:10am] piacentini: milliams: nice idea. You mean a rework of KScoreDialog for this? [10:10am] milliams: Also for the new-game 'dialog' [10:10am] milliams: piacentini: Essentially, yes [10:11am] milliams: piacentini: I'll see how you get on with it first though [10:11am] piacentini: Cool. (I am taking notes) [10:12am] piacentini: jpwhiting: live or logging? If you are here, can you comment on KNewStuff for 4.1? [10:12am] piacentini: or anyone else, as we are speaking about features for 4.1 [10:12am] piacentini: And concrete plans [10:12am] milliams: Well, I'd like to see theme downloading with knewstuff for 4.1. [10:13am] tsdgeos: piacentini: i think it's something like 5am where jpwhiting lives [10:13am] piacentini: Just to be more clear, I think we can start the meeting with some definition of concrete features, schedules, etc, and then move to a more relaxed exchange of ideas [10:13am] pcapriotti: I would like to move kollision to kdereview [10:13am] mikelima: I want theme and level set downloading in KGoldrunner through KNewstuff... [10:13am] piacentini: tsdgeos: good point [10:13am] annma: milliams: theme downloading? from where? [10:13am] mikelima: I've not yet started working on that, though. [10:13am] annma: I can pass stuff on to jpwhiting and also tsdgeos [10:13am] piacentini: annma: Hi. Can you update us on KNewStuff status? [10:14am] milliams: annma: Either kde-look (if possible) or games.kde.org [10:14am] piacentini: Because this is something most games can potentially use for 4.1 [10:14am] annma: download works well, [10:14am] annma: there are several progs using download and it works [10:14am] tsdgeos: pcapriotti: is kollision yours? [10:14am] pcapriotti: tsdgeos: yes [10:14am] mikelima: If possible, kde-look would be better. [10:14am] annma: piacentini: milliams knewstuff download works as it were in 3.5 [10:14am] mikelima: More visibility, I think [10:15am] gvarisco joined the chat room. [10:15am] piacentini: mikelima: kde-look is not integrated into the API I think. Good for standalone themes, but require manual installation [10:15am] piacentini: mikelima: The goal (correct me if I am wrong) is to have new themes in a KNewStuff-enabled server [10:15am] piacentini: To be available in-game [10:15am] tsdgeos: pcapriotti: missing icon, configure should not be a pageddialog if it only has 1 page, cursor reappears if you move it outside the window, no doc [10:15am] annma: the only thing missing is to get a server for the stuff [10:16am] tsdgeos: pcapriotti: but that can be fixed in review so you have my vote [10:16am] DrIDK: for ktank, I I thought about Map download widget too from a server [10:16am] mikelima: piacentini: yes... I don't know how the protocol works, however... [10:16am] piacentini: pcapriotti: same here, has my support [10:16am] pcapriotti: tsdgeos: I already have the doc, I'll fix the rest asap [10:17am] piacentini: mikelima: maybe we can start with one or two games? [10:17am] mikelima: piacentini: of course. [10:17am] piacentini: I had support for it in KMines I think [10:17am] piacentini: But removed for lack of server and uncertain state of API for 4.0 [10:17am] mikelima: What is not clear to me is how will theme designers publish their stuff? [10:17am] piacentini: annma: does edu have a server? [10:17am] annma: lack of server is still a problem [10:17am] annma: NO [10:17am] annma: I am the only one shouting about it [10:17am] piacentini: annma: are you downloading from where? [10:18am] annma: edu.kde.org [10:18am] annma: I have been fighting this for years [10:18am] XT95 left the chat room. (Connection timed out) [10:18am] piacentini: So, I think this is a priority if we want to enable it in games [10:18am] annma: if we want a server we need to write it down will all needs [10:18am] annma: yes but you all need to act [10:18am] piacentini: Do we need a separate server, or can we let sysadmin figure it out how to best handle providing KNewStuff to the project? [10:19am] ratt left the chat room. (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)) [10:19am] annma: we can let sysadmin handle it [10:19am] piacentini: annma: if we all agree it is needed on this meeting, we can trigger the process, with support from edu as well [10:19am] annma: Plasma will need one and I figure that at that point we'll get it [10:19am] annma: piacentini: yes [10:20am] annma: tsdgeos was to be made admin of a server but that went down [10:20am] piacentini: ok, so all agree on at least attempting to provide theme download via KNewStuff in 4.1? [10:20am] tsdgeos: +1 [10:20am] mikelima: piacentini: yes. And we do not have to convert all games to that at once. [10:20am] piacentini: Or someone thinks it is better not to push this idea for some reason (technical or othewise)? [10:21am] piacentini: mikelima: The idea (as it was, and commented out in some code) is to provide it in KGameThemeSelector [10:21am] annma: jpwhiting is now KNewStuff maintainer and will help with any problem [10:21am] piacentini: With optional parameters for the constructor to enable it or not [10:21am] annma: sounds good [10:21am] piacentini: So, concrete action point: talk to jpwhiting, put up a request to sysadmin (or e.V?) for a definition on this topic [10:22am] dimsuz joined the chat room. [10:22am] piacentini: annma, tsdgeos: e.V. should be involved, or is this just strictly sysadmin stuff? [10:22am] mikelima: piacentini: is there a way to test this with a temporary server? [10:22am] dimsuz: hi guys. sorry, I'm late [10:22am] tsdgeos: piacentini: sysadmin is enough [10:22am] piacentini: dimsuz: hi [10:22am] dimsuz: how is it going? [10:22am] annma: sysadmin only [10:22am] dimsuz: ian's with as? [10:22am] dimsuz: us [10:22am] fela joined the chat room. [10:22am] tsdgeos: piacentini: if sysadmin says "no server", then you can upscale to eV [10:22am] tsdgeos: dimsuz: no [10:22am] mikelima: About the other point -- how to let contributors publish their theme? [10:22am] dimsuz: *sigh* [10:23am] piacentini: tsdgeos: ok. So maye myself, annma and tsdgeos? I can write an email to sysadmin, with CC to you guys and jpwhiting, to trigger this [10:23am] annma: mikelima: as temporary server you'll have to use games.kde.org [10:23am] fela: hi, sorry for my lateness [10:23am] annma: piacentini: yes [10:23am] tsdgeos: piacentini: ok [10:23am] mikelima: annma: that would be Ok. [10:23am] tsdgeos: fela: no prob [10:23am] dimsuz: piacentini: you're discussing themeing? [10:23am] piacentini: dimsuz: actually KNewStuff, concrete plans for having it in 4.1. Or abandon it forever [10:24am] Hrafnahnef joined the chat room. [10:24am] piacentini: OK, so let us move on, we can come back later [10:24am] dimsuz: piacentini: never heard something about plans to abandon it - some issues exist for that? [10:24am] piacentini: mikelima: and we can use games.kde.org for now during the beta, or at least until we figure out the server stuff [10:24am] piacentini: mikelima: and maybe upload, after discussion with jpwhiting [10:25am] piacentini: dimsuz: not really. It is just that I think that when an idea takes years to materialize there is probably something wrong with it [10:25am] annma: yes I'd like starting upload as well [10:25am] piacentini: But it is moving now, so let us see [10:25am] piacentini: So, back to the agenda: we have KBlocks, Kollision and Ksirk as candidates for review [10:25am] piacentini: Any others? [10:26am] dimsuz: piacentini: sure, but only if some other option exists I admit that i might have missed this discussion due to being late, so let's move on [10:26am] tsdgeos: i'm quite unhappy with ksirk still [10:26am] fela: I plan to finish KBreakout in time for 4.1 [10:26am] piacentini: dimsuz: (just threatening to see if we act on this [10:27am] piacentini: tsdgeos: I do not think it is ready yet, but maybe the process of trying to move to kdereview can help it polish [10:27am] piacentini: fela: Good! Any updates on what is missing? [10:27am] CIA-24: coolo * r769918 kpat/trunk/KDE/kdegames/kpat/patsolve/spider.cpp: [10:27am] CIA-24: speedup finding solutions by 30% in finding good moves [10:27am] CIA-24: first [10:27am] fela: but I'll let you know when it's ready for review [10:28am] piacentini: fela: ok [10:28am] fela: I need to add theming support highscores and theming, mostly [10:28am] tsdgeos: i just got the goal to conquer 0 countries and place 2 armies on each [10:28am] tsdgeos: !!! [10:28am] dimsuz: [10:29am] mikelima: By the way, it's great that there are many games up for review... [10:29am] milliams: tsdgeos: [10:29am] tsdgeos: but i have to acknowledge it has mproved since last time i had a look at it [10:29am] mikelima: But will we be able to keep up development for all of them? [10:29am] piacentini: fela: cool. Well, with KGameTheme and KScoreDialog it should not be toooo difficult, compared to the work you have done already [10:30am] piacentini: mikelima: well, I think most are in good shape and will need minimal update during the 4.x series, hopefully [10:30am] piacentini: Of course, improvements are welcome always [10:31am] dimsuz: i have something in mind in the recent time: i think we need new highscore class set. or give current one a good degree of polishing [10:31am] piacentini: So... I think this is it regarding new games ready for 4.1? [10:31am] milliams: dimsuz: The current one will _possibly_ be moving to use WoC [10:31am] piacentini: dimsuz: now is a good time to work/implement this. But it will have to be compatible with KScoreDialog, or we will need a clear migration path [10:32am] CIA-24: coolo * r769919 kpat/trunk/KDE/kdegames/kpat/ (dealer.cpp dealer.h pwidget.cpp pwidget.h): always inform the user what the solver is doing [10:32am] dimsuz: milliams: that's for kscoredialog. i mean underlying KHighscore classes [10:32am] milliams: KHighscore was never meant to be anything more than a wrapper aroung kconfig. Perhaps adding convenience functions would make using it easier? [10:33am] dimsuz: piacentini: speaking of which - i think that popping it up after game over (like some games do - including maintained by me) might scare the user. it sometimes scares even me bad usability imho [10:33am] piacentini: dimsuz: agree, that is one of the motivations for the move to a woc structure, maybe [10:34am] piacentini: Like our current KGamePopupItem [10:34am] dimsuz: i think at first we'll need to analize what our games' highscore requirements are. i'll think about it [10:34am] tsdgeos: well, if you made a highscore, you have to enter the name, right? [10:34am] • fela wonders what "woc" stands for... [10:34am] pcapriotti: fela: widget on canvas [10:34am] fela: ok, thx [10:34am] piacentini: OK, let us go back to the 4.1 agenda, not much left before free discussion [10:34am] piacentini: There is a SOUND item [10:34am] piacentini: But it is vague [10:35am] dimsuz: tsdgeos: yes. but not necessarily right after I won. imagine the user who doesn't care about highscores or wants to care about them later. he would be annoyed by seeing these popups when he *just wants to play* [10:35am] piacentini: Personal take on this: nothing prevents games from implementing sound now, other than lack of sound designers [10:35am] pcapriotti: about sounds, any hints on how to play multiple sounds cuncurrently? [10:35am] pcapriotti: I'm not sure how to do it [10:35am] piacentini: pcapriotti: isn't phonon capable of this? [10:35am] mikelima: pcapriotti: you just play them... [10:36am] mikelima: piacentini: yes, it is. [10:36am] dimsuz: agreed. I spoke with it-s about sound in klines. he suggested to add "dummy" support for sounds so the game would be ready to just play them when they arrive [10:36am] pcapriotti: in multiple MediaObject's? [10:36am] mikelima: pcapriotti: yes. [10:36am] piacentini: I do not think there are synchronization classes or anything like that, but firing up multiple sounds work [10:36am] tosky joined the chat room. [10:36am] mikelima: I have a mail from phonon author stating that it is possible. [10:36am] pcapriotti: are they cheap to create? should I create them on demand, cache them, pool them? [10:37am] piacentini: dimsuz: hum... I am not sure about dummy support, but it should be easy to add. Just does not make much sense without sounds [10:37am] mikelima: I'll forward it if you want to see it. [10:37am] pcapriotti: mikelima: yes, thanks [10:37am] piacentini: piacentini: but i agree, like svg [10:37am] piacentini: someone has to start working in both code and art assets [10:37am] mikelima: pcapriotti: no idea... we'll have to experiment. [10:37am] piacentini: and work is easier in the future [10:37am] dimsuz: piacentini: by "dummy" i mean: play at least something i.e. implement support, then comment it out [10:37am] piacentini: dimsuz: cool [10:38am] mikelima: piacentini: I have made up a few samples for kgoldrunner... I'll start sound support there in a short while. [10:38am] piacentini: What I propose is that we nail (in this meeting and the next) our feature set [10:38am] piacentini: So we are not caught by surprise at the end of March [10:38am] tsdgeos: ktuberling has already support for sounds [10:38am] piacentini: when the feature freeze hits [10:38am] mikelima: I think KGoldrunner has the most demands for sounds, so if I can make them work, the other games will be easy. [10:38am] tsdgeos: "KTuberling most advanced game in earth" [10:38am] piacentini: mikelima: cool [10:39am] piacentini: tsdgeos: lol [10:39am] martin_ joined the chat room. [10:39am] piacentini: so, I will add dummy sound support to KBlocks as well [10:39am] tsdgeos: dinner time here, later! [10:39am] piacentini: At least for line removal [10:39am] mikelima: tsdgeos: well, most games sound just need "notification" type sounds... [10:39am] piacentini: and effects [10:39am] pcapriotti: if multiple MediaObject's need to be created, I think some kind of pooling library class could be handy [10:39am] XT95 joined the chat room. [10:39am] piacentini: pcapriotti: definately [10:39am] dimsuz: this might be the way to go if we *plan* to support sounds [10:39am] dimsuz: if we expect someone to create them [10:39am] dimsuz: how about searching for free samples on some CC-licensed sites? [10:40am] dimsuz: also someone might blog about this. [10:40am] mikelima: dimsuz: that could work... but having original stuff is better. [10:40am] piacentini: dimsuz: agreed. So now that phonon is working, let us sound-enable some of the games, with notification-style sounds [10:40am] XT95 left the chat room. (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)) [10:40am] piacentini: But... [10:40am] tsdgeos: there's the dude that does ktuberling sounds, i can ask him about if he is able to do something else once he finishes my sounds [10:40am] piacentini: remember that they should be themable [10:41am] piacentini: Well, maybe not for 4.1 [10:41am] dimsuz: mikelima: that could work as a temporary solution at least. [10:41am] piacentini: But something to keep in mind [10:41am] pcapriotti: I still have the "cut sounds" problem, though... is it just me? [10:41am] tsdgeos: dimsuz: CC is not ok regarding kde licensing guidelines afair [10:41am] piacentini: pcapriotti: not just you [10:41am] tsdgeos: pcapriotti: on newer xine and alsa (mandriva cooker) works here [10:41am] dimsuz: tsdgeos: oops. didn't involved much in licensing stuff ok then. any other option? [10:41am] piacentini: But, hopefully for 4.1 this will be fixed, with gstreamer backend as well [10:41am] mikelima: Ian's son is a musician, and he has volunteered for kgoldrunner sounds... [10:42am] mikelima: Maybe we can have some more, afterwards. [10:42am] pcapriotti: ok, I'll upgrade [10:42am] piacentini: I would like to discuss the release process as well [10:42am] tsdgeos: dimsuz: http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Policies/Licensing_Policy [10:42am] piacentini: Then we can end this part, agenda almost done [10:42am] dimsuz: tsdgeos: thanks. will read [10:43am] piacentini: Anyone here volunteers to do release management? [10:43am] piacentini: I emailed Johann last week, no answer [10:43am] piacentini: I see he is logging [10:43am] piacentini: But we need active management [10:43am] tsdgeos: you? [10:43am] piacentini: I am kind of doing it, but if someone wants to [10:43am] • dimsuz recalls that he havent heard something from/about Johann for some time [10:43am] piacentini: I will support him/her [10:44am] dimsuz: piacentini: if you have time, i'd vote for you with all my hands [10:44am] piacentini: As I am also doing some stuff for KTurtle, etc [10:44am] piacentini: dimsuz: I can do it at least temporarily, just think it is a nice opportunity for those [10:44am] piacentini: who want to get more involved [10:44am] piacentini: To have something concrete to take care of, communicate with the rest of the project, etc [10:44am] • dimsuz won't vote as he is not sure he will always find time... [10:45am] piacentini: Well, let us think about it [10:45am] dimsuz: s/vote/volunteer/ [10:45am] piacentini: There was an email in the kde-releaseteam ml detailing release manager duties [10:45am] piacentini: Maybe Eugene, I will talk to him. Or maybe Johann will have time now [10:46am] piacentini: If all fails, I can do it for 4.1 if you support it [10:46am] martin_: It would be good if it would be someone who pushed things a bit and who is quite active: Maruicio or Eugene are doing a lot lately and would be good candidates [10:46am] tsdgeos: eugene is too undiplomatic imho [10:46am] dimsuz: nice plan [10:46am] dimsuz: martin_: +1 [10:47am] piacentini: tsdgeos: well, he is an artist But I kind of agree, this is a diplomatic position [10:47am] piacentini: look at annma [10:47am] dimsuz: tsdgeos: agreed, but he might become but thinking second time: he's more creative than diplomatic. [10:48am] piacentini: See http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-release-team&m=120059280508957&w=2 [10:49am] piacentini: Well, one minute without posts, maybe time to end the formal part? [10:49am] piacentini: Anything else in the agenda? [10:49am] piacentini: I think we did not cover Discussion: what worked on this release cycle, what we could improve for the next, what we should change? [10:49am] piacentini: But this could be the topic for after the meeting [10:50am] mikelima: All right. [10:50am] piacentini: Ah.. there is the kde feature plan for 4.1` [10:50am] DrIDK: . [10:50am] mikelima: What I'd like to know, is what are the plans for the existing games too. [10:50am] piacentini: somewhere on techbase [10:50am] piacentini: mikelima; exactly, that is the place for features to existing games [10:50am] mikelima: I may try to help on other games too. [10:51am] piacentini: For existing games: I think I will work on KShisen [10:51am] mikelima: Especially if it's something with a similar pattern... [10:51am] pcapriotti: http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.1_Feature_Plan [10:51am] mikelima: Say hotnewstuff. [10:51am] mikelima: Or sound. [10:51am] piacentini: As it needs to be converted to KScoreDialog, etc. And the other maintainers are not that active, so I think it will fall on my lap... [10:51am] mikelima: pcapriotti: yes, but it's too little! [10:52am] piacentini: any game you guys think could use mikelima's help? [10:52am] pcapriotti: mikelima: we should add stuff there, I think [10:52am] piacentini: pcapriotti: yes, that is open for addition [10:52am] josel: until when should a new library for kdegames be in to be used in 4.1? [10:52am] piacentini: josel: feature freeze is March 31 [10:52am] piacentini: But it needs to be in playground before this [10:53am] martin_: If anybody is bored: I would like to look for a maintaner for LSkat and KWin4. I dont think I will be able to maintain them properly [10:53am] piacentini: and in kdereview before march 16 [10:53am] mikelima: If the techbase is filled in, even with things that are just "i'd like to have this", that would be a good start. [10:53am] martin_: I pushed them to 4.0 but I cant keep a constant maintiaing going...so ifsomeone wants to do this [10:53am] josel: well, i want to finish basic features befor moving it to kdesvn [10:53am] dimsuz: martin_: i think your best option is to post to kde-games-devel and blog about it (or ask someone to blog) [10:53am] piacentini: martin_: Well, maybe a co-maintainer? [10:54am] martin_: yes, something like this [10:54am] piacentini: martin_: So you would still helping us as best as you can? [10:54am] mikelima: martin_ I think the games are Ok as they are, mostly... [10:54am] piacentini: actually, Luciano (mikelima) is a perfect candidate to help you with this [10:54am] milliams: brb [10:54am] mikelima: Just keeping them compiling should not be much work. [10:54am] piacentini: As he is already working with the card selection stuff, etc [10:54am] milliams left the chat room. (Remote closed the connection) [10:54am] martin_: yes i will help but i have time not continiouls yonly in some short burst like holiday. so i can implement features then but not react fast to butgs etc [10:54am] josel: is there someone, who wants to do svg for ksudoku? [10:55am] piacentini: Luciano, how about helping Martin with these games? [10:55am] mikelima: martin_: I can help with lskat, but I'm mostly in his position... [10:55am] piacentini: Should not be too much work, basically some bug fixing if necessary, but they are quite stable. [10:56am] piacentini: mikelima: me too But I think with some weekends only we can manage to maintain most of the apps [10:56am] piacentini: Difficult part is the new features, etc [10:56am] dimsuz_ joined the chat room. [10:57am] piacentini: Like now in February I will have little time to work on KDE... But I asked for help with some KTurtle bugs last week (before 4.0.1), and someone appeared out of the blue and fixed it for me! [10:57am] mikelima: So who volunteers for kwin4? [10:57am] DrIDK left the chat room. ("http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client") [10:57am] piacentini: mikelima: Maybe a gentle blog post. Just asking for help at this point [10:58am] piacentini: triaging bugs, etc [10:58am] DrIDK joined the chat room. [10:58am] DrIDK: come back [10:59am] piacentini: Josel: regarding svg for KSudoku [10:59am] piacentini: Why do you need it? [10:59am] piacentini: For themes, customization I believe? [10:59am] XT95 joined the chat room. [10:59am] josel: yes, and to replace the current mess [10:59am] piacentini: Not sure if it applies really, or if you should go for a color/font customization combo [11:00am] piacentini: josel: this is probably something you should start slowly in a branch in the future, to land when ready [11:00am] piacentini: So it might be 4.1, 4.2, 4.3.... [11:00am] piacentini: As it is probably a more-or-less partial rewrite of the game iirc [11:00am] milliams joined the chat room. [11:00am] josel: it looks nice, but the underling code is in very bad shape [11:00am] dimsuz_: ah! have you guys seen my mail about minimum sizes on first run? [11:00am] piacentini: dimsuz: yes, nice catch [11:01am] josel: and some features for 4.2 (i think, i can't finish them for 4.1) depend on them [11:01am] piacentini: dimsuz: btw, KBreakout needs it [11:01am] Pinaraf left the chat room. ("bye bye") [11:01am] piacentini: josel: what do you need to start working on this? Maybe Eugene can give you the svg art necessary for the prototype [11:01am] dimsuz_: piacentini: i think this should be fixed by someone. I might try if authors of games give me a permission [11:01am] DrIDK: Did you speak about ktank ? [11:02am] josel: i have an prototype svg [11:02am] dimsuz_: josel: btw, i sent you crash in ksudoku, you received it? [11:02am] XT95 left the chat room. (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)) [11:02am] piacentini: DrIDK: not yet. Do you want to start? [11:02am] josel: dimsuz_: when did you sent me it? [11:02am] piacentini: Agenda is basically finished, we gave priority to features that would/could make it for 4.1 first [11:02am] josel: what i need is code to show it [11:03am] DrIDK: piacentini: yes I can start when you ask me [11:03am] dimsuz_: josel: a several weeks ago it's simple to reproduce: just start some game and try to resize window bigger, then to a tiny minimum, then again bigger etc. SIGFPE is caught [11:03am] piacentini: lol... DrIDK: how about KTanks? [11:04am] milliams: piacentini: Are you going to blog the 'minutes' of the meeting? [11:04am] DrIDK: So, let's go! [11:04am] dimsuz_: josel: i.e. play with resizes [11:04am] piacentini: milliams: it is carnival here in Brazil. But I should be able to do it by Monday [11:04am] it-s joined the chat room. [11:04am] piacentini: or if you want to do it, feel free to [11:04am] it-s: good morning gang [11:04am] milliams: piacentini: There's no rush of course. Have fun partying! [11:05am] DrIDK: as you can know, Ikit and me, and others helpers are developping ktank. This is a remake of the wii games [11:05am] mikelima: Hi it-s! We just agreed to redo all the games in ascii art! [11:05am] josel: dimsuz_: yeah, i saw it, someone comitted a fix for it [11:05am] milliams: it-s: Morning [11:05am] piacentini: can someone email eugene a copy of the log so far? [11:05am] piacentini: sorry DrIDK, please continue [11:05am] pcapriotti: mikelima: lol [11:05am] dimsuz_: josel: ah, cool [11:05am] DrIDK: it-s: hi... you come a the good time [11:06am] it-s: DrIDK: I just woke up [11:06am] piacentini: We are at the last item in the agenda, DrIDK will talk about KTanks to those who do not know it [11:06am] emilsedgh joined the chat room. [11:06am] DrIDK: Ktank is a project with 2 stuff : - KTankBattle ( the games) - Ktankeditor ( the editor) [11:06am] DrIDK: ( sorry for my english... ) [11:07am] DrIDK: Ktank will be an openGl 2d games using a new library called : KGLengine [11:07am] DrIDK: With KGLengine, i will be possible to develop other OPengl 2d games [11:08am] DrIDK: KGLengine work like QGraphicsScene system [11:08am] DrIDK: We have a scene, and we can add some Item ( KGLItem) [11:08am] DrIDK: But it's not all [11:09am] DrIDK: KGLengine provide new stuff, like Key Control ( KGameKey), or Fullscreen Mode [11:09am] DrIDK: And Particule Engine, and Collision detector using Quadtree [11:10am] DrIDK: So, the first game using KGLengine is Ktank [11:10am] piacentini: DrIDK: small suggestion: take care with API names so not to clash with more global ones. A name like KGLengine is probably too generic imo, same for KGameKey. [11:10am] piacentini: DrIDK: suggestion: find a name for the engine (think Plasma, Decibel, etc), and use it in the API [11:11am] DrIDK: piacentini: ok, I will mind it [11:11am] dimsuz_: bye guys. have to go we may continue on ML [11:11am] piacentini: Minor, but worth it if you plan to make it reusable [11:11am] piacentini: dimsuz: see you [11:11am] mikelima: hi dimsuz [11:11am] DrIDK: you can see a screenshot here : [11:11am] DrIDK: smoke.png [11:11am] dimsuz_ left the chat room. (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)) [11:12am] DrIDK: so, ktank will be more... It will be a game playable on network [11:12am] mikelima: what kind of game is that? Something like scorched eart? [11:12am] DrIDK: it's a new games [11:13am] DrIDK: you control the hull with key ans turret with mouse [11:13am] DrIDK: the gameplay is very nice! [11:13am] DrIDK: Ktank want to be a "Doom Like" in 2d [11:13am] mikelima: Can you play stand-alone, against the computer? [11:14am] mikelima: That would be useful for players evaluating the game... [11:14am] DrIDK: mikelima: My first objectif is to create a Network games. After, We will create some bots with IA [11:14am] dimsuz left the chat room. (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out)) [11:15am] mikelima: DrIDK: Ok. Bots do not have to be too smart-- just give them enough ammo! [11:15am] DrIDK: this game will have a lot of funny stuff! Different weapons, bullets, amor , bonus etc... [11:16am] DrIDK: For exemple, I will create Automatic-turret [11:16am] DrIDK: If the tank is near the turret, it will be shooted [11:17am] DrIDK: So, now, about Ktankeditor [11:17am] DrIDK: ikit is the developpers [11:18am] ikit: yes [11:18am] piacentini: it-s: my irc client has a fancy formatting for logs, trying to fix it to send it to you [11:18am] DrIDK: we want to have a polymorph games. All people will be able to create his map, and play on it with other people [11:18am] it-s: piacentini: thanks *yawn* .... my head [11:19am] DrIDK: then, when we start ktank client on network, we can dowload automaticaly user's maps [11:20am] DrIDK: so, now, the next week end, ikit and me will try to finish the first ktank playable [11:20am] XT95 joined the chat room. [11:21am] DrIDK: After, we will need help for develop with Kggz and phonon [11:21am] it-s: did you people have a chance to discuss sounds in KDEGames? [11:21am] DrIDK: So, I have finished... ikit, any other suggestion ? [11:21am] piacentini: it-s: sent to your gmail address [11:21am] emilsedgh: next week? [11:22am] emilsedgh: yay! [11:22am] emilsedgh: so fast [11:22am] it-s: emilsedgh: yeah these two are ases [11:22am] it-s: aces [11:22am] DrIDK: you can look some news about ktank developpement on : http://ktank.free.fr/wordpress [11:23am] • it-s shakes his head, but that only makes headace worth [11:23am] DrIDK: Ikit and me are enjoy to create a kdegames [11:23am] piacentini: people, I will have to go for a while now, helping a friend with her relocation. See you during the week, and will post about the meeting by Monday on planet.kde.org [11:24am] it-s: so we are done then? [11:24am] it-s: good. [11:24am] piacentini: DrIDK: looks iike a nice plan, lots of energy. Keep it that way! [11:24am] mikelima: all right, ciao piacentini [11:24am] it-s: back to sleep [11:24am] piacentini: bye people [11:24am] it-s left the chat room. (Remote closed the connection) [11:24am] DrIDK: I hope you have understand me with my bad english [11:24am] DrIDK: it-s: [11:24am] milliams: piacentini: Cya [11:24am] You have set yourself away with "piacentini". [11:24am] mikelima: DrIDK: I think you have something there... I'd like a more humorous theme, but.. [11:25am] emilsedgh: DrIDK: do you think that ktank will get in the 4.1? [11:25am] DrIDK: emilsedgh: it's a big project. I think we will have only beta version on march [11:26am] emilsedgh: hm [11:26am] DrIDK: my plan is to finish ktank 1.0 on junny [11:26am] emilsedgh: so 4.2 is the target? [11:26am] milliams: Well there's always 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 etc. [11:26am] DrIDK: juny [11:26am] nicolas030 joined the chat room. [11:26am] martin_: bye bye guys [11:26am] DrIDK: And I want ktank to is playable on windows [11:26am] mikelima: milliams: exactly. [11:26am] DrIDK: for have a lot a player [11:27am] mikelima: ciao martin_ [11:27am] martin_ left the chat room. (Remote closed the connection) [11:27am] mikelima: DrIDK: so you develop on Windows? I pity you... [11:27am] DrIDK: no [11:27am] DrIDK: I develop on linux [11:28am] DrIDK: But, I want to create a ktank client on windows too with kde/win [11:28am] mikelima: DrIDK: I was joking, do not thake that bad! [11:28am] DrIDK: [11:28am] XT95 left the chat room. (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)) [11:28am] mikelima: All right... Supposedly, all games should be usable on Windows. [11:29am] mikelima: Yours has this OpenGL thing, so it may be harder... [11:29am] XT95 joined the chat room. [11:29am] DrIDK: so, are they any kggz developpers here ? [11:30am] DrIDK: so, for other, you can try to test ktank in : playground/games/ktank [11:31am] DrIDK: [11:31am] mikelima: DrIDK: I'll have a look... [11:32am] mikelima: so what are others up to? [11:32am] DrIDK: mikelima: kgamekey [11:32am] DrIDK: kgamekey is very usefull for games [11:33am] DrIDK: Qt4 doesn't provide any control key without "delay time" [11:33am] ianw2 joined the chat room. [11:33am] mikelima: hi ianw2... you are a bit late! But welcome, none the less! [11:33am] DrIDK: with KgameKey, you can press simultaneous on "Arrow Up" + Key A+ key B [11:34am] ianw2: Am I on or not? [11:34am] mikelima: ianw2: you are late for the conference. [11:35am] mikelima: No big deal, howver... [11:35am] ianw2: Yeah, I know. It was quite a dinner party ... [11:35am] mikelima: I hope you enjoyed yourself... [11:36am] ianw2: Yeah we did. AAron was in good form ...;-) [11:36am] mikelima: ianw2: I can imagine... or maybe not! [11:36am] CIA-24: gallinari * r769951 kapman/trunk/playground/games/kapman/ (gamescene.cpp ghost.cpp kapmanmainwindow.cpp maze.cpp): Pills and energizers are now drawn before the characters (kapman and ghosts) so that they are in the background [11:37am] ianw2: Best left unsaid ... so have you decided a lot tonight? [11:37am] mikelima: Well, it's been interesting, but nothing decisive. [11:38am] ianw2: Oh? [11:39am] emilsedgh left the chat room. ("Kopete 0.12.4 : http://kopete.kde.org") [11:39am] mikelima: I just sent you the log... [11:39am] mikelima: Well, to summarize... [11:39am] ianw2: Great, thanks Luciano! [11:40am] mikelima: we have discussed about new games to include. [11:40am] mikelima: KBlocks and ksirk have been cited... [11:40am] DrIDK: so, I m go to slee... work ! [11:40am] mikelima: and.. [11:41am] DrIDK: bye [11:41am] DrIDK left the chat room. [11:41am] mikelima: kollision, and maybe ktank. [11:42am] ianw2: sounds good