Parley Practice Rewrite for KDE 4.5
Work on the parley practice happens in a branch here: Browse WebSVN online
Check it out:
svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/work/parley-practice/
DONE: remove old practice codeF
- TODO: does Paraphrase make any sense at all? no - remove paraphrase - it is not used in any single document we could find
- TODO: remove Antonym completely
- DISCUSS: timeouts during practice ???
- TODO: get rid of current way of handling them in the lib? BIC!!!???!!!
- TODO: use a stringlist instead
- TODO: make it possible to edit them in the table - how to separate two of them? semicolon?
- TODO: change/rewrite dock widget
- DISCUSS: practice options (is this really really needed?):
DONE: Check synonyms as part of written practice(BEN_SCHL) DONE: accept any synonym as correct(BEN_SCHL) DONE: ask to enter all synonyms(BEN_SCHL) DONE: show already entered synonyms in list(BEN_SCHL) DONE: ask until the exact word that is wanted is there, but don't count other synonyms as wrong on the way there(BEN_SCHL) DONE: Check user options if he really wanted synonyms to be counted as correct by now we always accept them as correct (BEN_SCHL)
- Let other modes benefit from synonyms. Maybe similar to the hint button show a synonym if it exist?
DONE: If in written mode a synonym was entered, check if that synonym is in this practice mode and increase its good count ?(BEN_SCHL)
- TODO: integrate LaTeX in written and flash card practice modes
- TODO: poslish and test
- TODO add documentation to manual
do nothing on empty string limit max size of widget
- TODO: implement rendering of scaled and cropped background
DONE dani_l: border-foo-repeat (stuff like fluffy bunny doesn't work that well if scaled...)
- TODO: make it possible for the boxes widget to be scaled (and change the layout so that it can get more space)
- TODO: threshold: word types are broken here?
Notes Advanced page:
- TODO: Time limits: only let the user select if the time limit is active, use show solution after answering
- TODO: enable button xyz: not applicable any more, only the hint button, so remove them from the ui file
- TODO: rearrange the widgets in the advanced page
IDEA/TODO: maybe it would make sense to put the most common options into the statistics page that is shown before practice is started maybe replace the checkboxes again with radio buttons -> it's so easy to change now only show one bar of grades - the one that corresponds to the current language selection
- TODO: add grammar grade visualisation
Still missing are:
- TODO: Vocabulary test (school like) with good summary and "grade"
- no button for hints
- add buttons to "go back and forth"
- don't show if the answer was right
- DISCUSS: do we want to have some type of "grade" and if yes, how should it be calculated?
You know? Adjectives and adverbs - words that describe other words.
- green/red for right answers make right answers disabled so they can't be screwed up again
- URGENT show solution if wrong
- URGENT do not randomly skip words when answer was wrong
- focus on continue button is not set when showing the first card, from then on it works
- I don't understand why it doesn't work after having a quick look (Frederik)
- TODO - EASY: add sound and pronunciation, same as in written mode, only needs code in flashcardmodewidget.cpp to be changed
DONE dani_l: hotkeys (maybe in menu? even configurable??) for the choices: 1 for first, 2 for second...
- TODO - KDE 4.6: use kactions and make sure they are configurable
- TODO - KDE 4.6: it would be nice to get rid of the radio buttons in favor of having something else maybe - a list? something that looks nicer
- Adding sound pronunciation and comment would be nice here too
- There is a class like this, "answervalidator.cpp" but it's ugly old and eats kittens. Cleaning it up would be ok. Things like word similarity are in there.
- Moved some of the code to the new WrittenPracticeValidator class maybe move more funtionality there ?
- how far do we want to go when comparing answers? what feedback should the user get?
- you made a spelling mistake (this can be done by running spellcheckers and comparing what they suggest for a word with the solution)
- you wrote nonsense
All Practice Modes
- DISCUSS: define our terminology, e.g. is it grade or box, answer or solution, correct or right, incorrect or wrong etc.
- TODO: implement support for showing pronunciation for every practice frontend
- TODO: implement support for sound for every practice frontend
- TODO: add a "Auto-play sound" option to the practice settings and implement it
- TODO KDE 4.6: sound - rename "enable sound" to "autoplay sound" and implement it
Grades are equivalent to boxes (leitner), they are:
- 0 not practiced
- 1 lowest level
- 7 best level
- Words are answered correctly:
- a correct answer gives grade += 1
- a word that has been answered correctly is not asked again
- Words are answered wrong:
- a wrong answer gives grade = 1 (reset to lowest level). Wrong anserws are:
- If a hint message has been used (may change policy here later if it doesn't work out)
- If an accent and/or capitalisation mistake was made (might be accepted as right if the option is chosen in the config)
- If answer stays the same after enter is pressed a second time assume the user doesn't know the answer and continue.
- Just print a different message if the user corrected himself and the answer was right
- words that were incorrectly answered will come up again until they are answered correctly (or the practice is stopped)
- DISCUSS: when a word is answered after being answered wrong before, it ends up on level 2, if the practice is stopped before, it stays in level 1 (Leitner says it stays in 1 ?)
- a wrong answer gives grade = 1 (reset to lowest level). Wrong anserws are:
- TODO: implement grading as described above and make sure it works in all modes
- TODO: Respect Leitner option to ask for the correct answer three times in a row.
- DISCUSS: If you answer an unknown word wrong or right doesn't matter as by definition above wrong words get set to level 1 (from 0) and right words get increased to 1 (from 0). I changed that correct new words end up in level 2 ? (BEN_SCHL)
- DISCUSS: what happens when practicing with multiple modes? does only the last mode affect the grading? make in configurable? (DOES THIS STILL APPLY?)
- DISCUSS: find out if restricting the grading for each mode makes sense (e.g. saying "if i practice in multiple choice, the word can only rise up to grade 3")
- TODO: figure out a sane way to configure this or give different grades for each practice mode ?
- TODO: pass in 3 int from backend to frontend: current, good, bad (so that the selection of right/wrong can be previewed correctly)
- note: basically it is already implemented, but in a quick and in some (most?) cases wrong way. we probably need some TestEntry::gradeIfWrong() etc or something like that
Summary Page (after practice is finished)
- TODO for some practice modes the result is complete nonsense - eg conjugations show the normal words in the summary
- TODO fregl: add a button to print a list with $number words you should practice
- STILL VALID?: New rows are appended when pressing enter in the row above the last one, not in the last one - Qt 4.6 regression?
- TODO: changes in dock widgets are not reflected in table -> model needs to emit dataChanged for the view to update (not working since the editing happens without models knowledge)
- TODO: table: add column for grades (including combo box for changing the grade)
- TODO: summary dock widget: make word type work
- setting works
- instead of the normal model use a flat list model (proxy would work)
- TODO: remove leitner box classes
- TODO: get rid of old kDebug() messages that don't make sense out of context
- TODO: check if the column visibility is saved correctly in all cases
- TODO fregl:
there is a broken version of the 5 language document in the files on edu.kde.org(and there should be a *version with and without* images which you can clearly separate from each other, right?)
- TODO: the languages that will be practiced should be per document, not global
- TODO: other practice options should probably be per document as well
- TODO: implement undo support
- TODO: frederik be ashamed! Danish document -> 4000 words to sublessons a 20 doesn't work
- TODO: creating a new document: title is not carried over for root lesson and window title
- big todo: configurable special chars per language - come with language definition - configurable hotkey ...
- I also found a bug, when deselecting the main lesson, it resets the title to "0". When clicking it again (to select all sublessons), it renames itself to "2".
- TODO do not show word types in the table when clicking them (maybe on right click menu?)
Profiles and config and zip
- DISCUSS: Instead of using current kvtml files, use the same with compression
- add images, sound and other media into the zip file
Regressions in trunk
- Title is broken (documents show up with 0 as title, chainging root lesson behaves weird, it doesn't get saved)
- TODO fregl: Auto-save in practice mode
(Frederik does all of this unless someone else wants to punish himself)
- Comparison forms: use keduvoctext for forms (make grades possible)
- make grades for articles possible
Stuff to discuss today
- write request with lots of screenshots?
- correct/wrong states, it it ok how they are currently implemented (especially in written mode)
- great, but: longer ? in written (see above)
- what grammar modes do we need and how can they be implemented
- can we reuse/extend our frontend/backend modes?
- grading for grammar training
- create example document(s) making use of all our advanced features for testing
- grammar training
- multiple choice options
- two images per entry, pronunciation, sound
- blockers before merging the branch back to trunk
- timeline for merging, release schedule
- synonym/antonym: what to keep? what about semicolons?
Usability session with Leinir
Dan, Lydia, Daniel and Frederik sat down in Randa and these are some notes on usability.
Comments from Lydia:
- table is big and in your face, but maybe that is ok
- check boxes should be tri-state - parent lessons should be half-checked if only some of their children are selected
- only show the relevant column with grades instead of all of them
- do not offer to start practices that contain 0 words! it's borked!
- flash cards: change continue button to "show backside"
- pic placeholder is ugly in default theme
- progressbar should maybe start counting at 1
- label: "I did not know it" "I know it" -- or "Did you know the answer?": "yes" - "no"
- mixed letters are getting grey on grey -> generally font color is problematic
- Multiple choice needs shortcuts (key 1-5 for example) and continue button should be disabled until a choice is selected.
- conjugation mode: "Enter all conjugation forms" is a silly string and should be removed.
- get email from kuser-something
- categories: test preparation makes no sense as category
- tooltip for checkboxes
- remove flags for languages
Comments from Dan:
- create video tutorials
- hide "last opened" string if list is empty
- title could be "Parley - Vocabulary Trainer" use kqtitlewidget
- subtypes in word types should always get their parent's type by default
- indent tenses below radio buttons
- always show tenses (both Daniel and Frederik are against this)
- remove status bar
- remove tree indicator from tense selection
- enable practice checkbox by default in file dialog (depending on current component)
- remove "Editor" from toolbar, make sure it is in the menu though
- Since May 19th: Soft Message Freeze
- NO NEW STRINGS, NO STRING CHANGES ANY MORE (ask Frederik if you need to change strings and let him take the flames)
- June 2nd: Documentation/Handbook Freeze
- Have an updated documentation, work with Burkhart to get it from userbase to docbook