KDEEdu/Language/Terminology

From KDE Community Wiki
Revision as of 10:21, 15 March 2014 by Cola (talk | contribs) (→‎Language Learning Terminology)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Language Learning Terminology

Draft for Common Terminology

• Collection/Course/further discussion: a set of lessons that is provided as a whole in a file in kvtml format.
  • Unit: set of items (most often words) that are grouped together in the collection file; may also contain other Units
  • Learner: the user of the application (not actually used inside Parley but this is the word we use in dicsussions)
  • to train: verb used to describe learner's action to start training
  • to stop training: verb used to describe learner's action to stop training
  • Session: a limited set of items (default: 20) trained together with a start and a stop. The words in the session are put together from new ones and previously practiced ones.
  • Mode: Training method, such as Flashcard or Multiple answer or Written. (I would like to use Method for this instead since mode could be used for training vs test when we implement a test mode)

Terminologies in Use

Terminology in Artikulate

• Course: a set of units, that is provided as a whole
  • Unit: set of phrases that are grouped together
  • Phrase: a string for that the learner wants to learn the pronunciation
    • Word: phrase consisting of a single word+
    • Expression: phrase consisting of multiple words, but not being a complete sentence
    • Sentence: phrase consisting of a sentence
    • Paragraph: phrase consisting of multiple words
  • Learner: the user of the application

Terminology in Parley

• Collection: a set of lessons that is provided as a whole in a file in kvtml format.
  • Lesson: set of items (most often words) that are grouped together in the collection file.
  • Sub-Lesson
  • Learner: the user of the application (not actually used inside Parley but this is the word we use in dicsussions)
  • Session: a limited set of items (default: 20) trained together with a start and a stop. The words in the session are put together from new ones and previously practiced ones.
  • Mode: Training method, such as Flashcard or Multiple answer or Written. (I would like to use Method for this instead since mode could be used for training vs test when we implement a test mode)
  • Grade: the state of the training for a specific item, i.e the number of times that the user has answered correctly while training. I hate this term and really want to switch it to something else.