< GSoC‎ | 2019‎ | StatusReports
No edit summary
Line 1: Line 1:
== Revamping the Titler Tool ==
== Revamping the Titler Tool ==

'''What does the Titler tool do?'''
=== Project Overview ===

'''Why do it?'''
The titler tool is used to create clips containing text and images, which can be composited over videos.
The titler tool is used to create clips containing text and images, which can be composited over videos.
The titler tool renders XML using an MLT module which uses QGraphicsView. QGraphicsView is considered deprecated. Moreover, adding features to the current back end is difficult and is known to be buggy leading to an overall limited and outdated functionality.

'''The problem'''
'''How to do it?'''
The titler tool renders XML using an MLT module which uses QGraphicsView. QGraphicsView is considered deprecated. Moreover, adding features to the current back end is difficult and is known to be buggy.
Use and render QML frames instead of XML as QML, in general, allows creating powerful animations with ease and flexibility which means new features can be added to the titler. Rewrite the tool's backend using QQuickRenderControl to render QML  and implement a new QML MLT module which can produce QML frames, and to also create a basic titler which can render basic QML templates

'''The solution'''
Rewrite the tool's backend using QML and QQuickRenderControl by implementing a new QML MLT module which can render QML frames, and to also create a basic titler which can render basic QML templates.
'''Why QML?'''
QML, in general, allows creating powerful animations with ease and flexibility which means new features can be added to the titler.

== Project Goals ==
== Project Goals ==
Line 53: Line 51:
==== Week 4 ====
==== Week 4 ====

I started writing the QML MLT producer.  

===== Blog Posts =====
===== Blog Posts =====
* (to be posted)
* (to be posted)
== Links to Blogs and other writing ==

Revision as of 12:25, 27 June 2019

Revamping the Titler Tool

Project Overview

Why do it? The titler tool is used to create clips containing text and images, which can be composited over videos. The titler tool renders XML using an MLT module which uses QGraphicsView. QGraphicsView is considered deprecated. Moreover, adding features to the current back end is difficult and is known to be buggy leading to an overall limited and outdated functionality.

How to do it? Use and render QML frames instead of XML as QML, in general, allows creating powerful animations with ease and flexibility which means new features can be added to the titler. Rewrite the tool's backend using QQuickRenderControl to render QML and implement a new QML MLT module which can produce QML frames, and to also create a basic titler which can render basic QML templates

Project Goals

• Implement an independent QML rendering library
  • Integrate library with MLT and write an MLT producer which produces QML frames
  • Develop a basic UI for the new Titler on Kdenlive which uses the new producer

Work report

Implement an independent QML rendering library

Week 1 & 2

The first two weeks went into making the QML rendering library ready. I made the library code production ready and added CLI access to the library.

Blog Posts

Week 3

I worked on writing the test module for the library and implemented unit tests.

Blog Posts

Status  : Complete

Link : QmlRenderer

Integrate library with MLT and write an MLT producer which produces QML frames

Week 4

Blog Posts
  • (to be posted)