GSoC/2018/StatusReports/AmitSagtani

From KDE Community Wiki

One step closer to version 1.0

GCompris is a high-quality educational suite, that aims to teach the kids who are aged 2-10 years. Recently its 0.9 version was released which has more than 140 activities. The goal of this project is to create a Bitmap drawing activity and an Animation activity for GCompris to create kids interest in designing, drawing, and graphical animations. This will help GCompris to move one step closer to version 1.0.

Mentors: Timothée Giet and Johnny Jazeix

Project Goals

• Creating a bitmap drawing activity to help kids learn about various graphical tools and creating beautiful arts.
  • Extending drawing activity to enable kids to create animation with many paint frames.

Work Report

Community Bonding Period

During Community Bonding period, I started with introducing myself to the community. I have previously worked with KDE during Season of KDE and I am an active contributor at GCompris, this helped me to set up the working environment and building the project quickly. With the help of my mentors, I rebased the current branch and cherry-picked the commits to a new branch and removed all the conflicts to work smoothly. My project aims at creating graphical activities and the work on Bitmap drawing activity was started in previous GSoC. I discussed the current state of this activity and changes to be made in the present code with my mentors. Previously in the GTK+ version of this activity, we used to call tuxPaint directly. In our own version of this activity, we have decided to name it "Drawing". For the UI, we have finalized to make a foldable panel-based(demo) UI to provide as much as possible space to draw on. I am reading the Qt Canvas and context2D documentation, experimenting with the current code and consulting with my mentors for the optimum approach to implement the proposed features.

Coding Period - Phase one (May 14th to June 12th)

Drawing Activity

This activity aims at providing tools and workspace to kids for drawing beautiful arts and introducing them to basic drawing tools and their uses. This phase was devoted to developing an easy to use UI for the activity and refactoring the present code and breaking the code into various elements to ease the process of further enhancement and reviewing process.

A foldable-panel based UI is developed and ready to use. It is divided into four panels, namely - "Menu", "Tools", "Color" and "Tool Options".

Menu panel consists - Save, Load, Redo, Undo, Erase all, Background Color and Export to png options.

Tools panel provides various tools like Pencil, Eraser, Brushes, Text input, bucket fill, etc.

For the color panel, a color picker was developed consisting of three bars - Hue, Saturation, and Lightness to produce the required color. Along with the color picker, a grid of pre-defined color is also available to select a color from and these pre-defined colors can be altered according to the needs.

Tool Options panel consists of various setting like tip size, modes, etc for the currently active tool.

Tasks for this phase are completed as planned. For next phase, I aim at fixing the minor bugs with present tools and enhancing them.

Branch where I'm working

Important Links

Proposal Link

Blog Posts

Contact

Email: [email protected]

IRC: amit__ , amit__[m]

Github: amitsagtani97