GSoC/2018/StatusReports/AbhijeetSharma

From KDE Community Wiki
< GSoC‎ | 2018‎ | StatusReports
Revision as of 05:17, 10 June 2018 by Abhijeet2096 (talk | contribs) (My Status Report For GSoC Project i.e "Integrating fwupd In KDE Discover")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Discover: fwupd integration

Currently, Discover does most of the general job required for a typical plasma user but it lacks firmware upgrade on devices. This project will integrate firmware upgrade through fwupd in discover. After addition of this feature, Discover will be able to upgrade the firmware of devices attached to the system (via USB/SOC) on Demand.

Mentors: David Edmundson Aleix Pol

Deliverables

• On demand firmware upgrades via fwupd from Discover.
  • Notification Support on New firmware updates.
  • Setting UI for new firmware upgrades as per discussion with Discover Team.

Work Report

Community Bonding Period

During the community bonding period, I started with understanding the code base of discover. I found the way to add this functionality of Integrating fwupd via a new Backend i.e FwupdBackend. I then discussed this with my mentor Aleix and I started Working on this new backend. During this period we also discussed ways of communication and finally landed on emails with occasional video calls via opentok.

Coding Period Phase - I (May 14th to June 10th)

During this period I started by adding a new backend i.e FwupdBackend from a skeleton backend i.e DummyBackend. After adding the skeleton, I had to link the libfwupd with discover via CMake. For Linking, I added a FindLIBFWUPD.cmake so that cmake could find the required libraries. After successfully linking these libraries I proceeded with making the constructor and destructor for making the fwupdclient object to talk to the fwupd daemon. After this, I proceeded with displaying the attached devices discovered via fwupd for checking that client object is able to talk to the fwupd daemon successfully.

Some Screenshots for above work

Development Branch

Important Links

GSoC Proposal Link

Blog Posts

Contact

Email: [email protected] IRC: SharmaJiKaBeta , SharmaJiKaBeta_M Github: abhijeet2096