GSoC/2017/StatusReports/RudraNilBasu

From KDE Community Wiki

GCompris: Finishing started activities

GCompris is a high-quality educational suite which aims at making learn- ing easier for children aged 2 to 10. GCompris currently has 137 activities on various topics such as science, maths, games with which it has successfully created a great learning environment for children. However, there are few activities which were started previously but is not yet complete. I strongly believe in what GCompris stands for and in this project, I aim at taking GCompris one step forward by finishing three started activities: Pilot a Submarine, Family and Digital Electronics

View my full proposal here: GSoC_2017_KDE_Proposal

Current Status

For Google Summer of Code 2017, I will be finishing the following started activities:

1.  Pilot a Submarine
       2.  Family
            Status:  Will be started after the completion of Pilot a Submarine
       3.  Digital Electricity

Pilot a Submarine

Introduction

The Pilot a Submarine activity is aimed at teaching how a submarine works, focussing on the basic three elements of a submarine: the engine, rudders and the ballast tanks. It was originally started in the gsoc-submarine branch and this activity was present in the gtk+ version of GCompris. In this project, I will be porting the activity to the Qt version of GCompris.

Goals

Broadly, the items to be implemented are listed as follows:

1.  The components required for the levels in the submarine activity [DONE]
       2.  Implement tutorials for the initial levels [DONE]
       3.  Basic layout of the first 10 levels of the submarine activity [DONE]
       4.  Submarine components: Engine [DONE], Ballast Tanks [DONE], Rudders [DONE]
       5.  Collision detection [DONE]
       6.  Determine Win-Loss scenario [DONE]
       7.  Implement UI for controlling the submarine components [TBD]
       8.  FInal bug fixes and improvements

Related Blog Posts

Links

The Pilot a Submarine activity is being developed in the gsoc_rudra_submarine branch of Gcompris-qt

Phabricator task: https://phabricator.kde.org/T1529

Screenshots

Contact

Blog: http://rudranilbasu.me/blog/

IRC nickname: rudra