Improve stability, testing and bring modern C++ to KStars
Brief explanation: KStars has a mature codebase with well-written C++. It has been under constant development for the last 16 years and requires serious modernization due to the complexity of the code with its many contributors. The student is required to refactor the sources with modern C++11/C++14 features, explore and fix corner cases, perform static code analysis and implement new testing methods.
Refactor code to C++11/C++14 Replace raw pointers with smart pointers where appropriate. Use standard containers. Migrate all connections/slots to new Qt style connection. Add new unit and functional tests covering the complete scope of the source code. Reduced memory footprint especially on embedded devices. Knowledge Prerequisite: C++, Qt, Data Structures
Mentor: Jasem Mutlaq (Matrix: Jasem)
May 30, 2017 - June 30, 2017
Progress of the planned items:
1. Add ccache support
2. Add hardening support to the CMake build system (improve security)
3. Add Clang specific improvements to the CMake build system
4. Add Clang sanitizers to the CMake build system
5. Run the KStars application with the sanitizers enabled and fix all memory error found by these tools
6. Add Unity build to the CMake build system to cut the build time
7. Refactor codes to modern C++11/C++14 what I get in touch while fixing bugs:
Status: In Progress
Replace NULL with nullptr https://github.com/KDE/kstars/commit/827f5c2d60d9c4594470cd693edee66868af014e
8. Add documentation about the improvements and the sanitizers to the wiki pages.