GSoC/2015/StatusReports

From KDE Community Wiki
< GSoC‎ | 2015
Revision as of 17:26, 1 June 2015 by Joshwambua (talk | contribs)

Status reports for GSoC, OPFW and SoK 2015.

Student Name (Please leave this as a template and make a copy for yourself!)

Project Name:

A Brief Description:

Screenshot:

IRC Nick:

IRC Channels:

Blog:

This is awesome about GSoC:

This is what I learned during GSoC:

Akshay Ratan

Project Name: IRC Protocol for Kopete

A Brief Description: Kopete does not have working IRC protocol support. In Kopete, git tree is unfinished semi­ported plugin from Kopete KDE3 which is not working. This project aims to provide a full fledged IRC Plugin support to Kopete.

Status: Currently integrating Communi framework for IRC support in Kopete. Will be updating the progress on my blog soon.

IRC Nick: akshay_r

IRC Channels: #kopete, #kde-devel, #kde-soc, #kde-in, #plasma

Blog: Akshay Ratan

This is awesome about GSoC: The satisfaction of seeing your contribution integrated in real-world applications with so many people using it. The opprtunity to learn so many new things, and enjoying each and every bit of open-source software development.

This is what I learned during GSoC: CMake, Git Version Controlling, IRC Protocols

Siddhesh suthar

Project Name: Port of GCompris to QtQuick

A Brief Description: GCompris is a an educational software suite comprising of numerous activities for children aged 2 to 10. Originaly written in Gtk+ it's development team decided to rewrite it from scratch in Qt Quick. I am porting reading activities and will create new computer learning activities this summer.

IRC Nick: siddhism

IRC Channels: #gcompris

Blog: siddhesh suthar

This is awesome about GSoC: We get to learn things and enjoy our work at the same time. It feels awesome to contribute and see our work integrated, inspires us to do more quality work.

This is what I learned during GSoC: To properly plan and discuss the features. A lot to be learned in coding period yet.

Mohamed Anwer

Project Name: [digiKam] Rewrite database KIO-slaves as pure Qt5 with multithreading

A Brief Description: Originally, KIO-Slaves was implemented to run database queries in a separate process to prevent problems with SQlite. Since SQlite support queries from separate threads, KIO-slaves can be dropped, and a new API can be implemented using pure Qt threads API. This will improve digiKam portability, and permit adjusting CPU cores assigned to database processes efficiently.

• Dropping dependency on KIO-Slaves:
    In progress
  • Patching the database files:
    In progress
  • Creating GUI dedicated to controlling multithreading:
    In progress
  • Writing test code:
    In progress
  • Documentation:
    In progress
  • Benchmarking:
    In progress

IRC Nick: tootis

IRC Channels: #digikam

Blog: Mohamed Anwer

This is awesome about GSoC: Not Yet

This is what I learned during GSoC: Not Yet

Garvit Khatri

Project Name: Integrate Cantor with LabPlot

A Brief Description: This project aims to integrate cantor (a front-end to powerful mathematics and statistics packages) with LabPlot (a scientific data plotter application). The expected result is a to use cantor's session data as to plot graphs inside labplot.

Screenshot: Selection_110.png

IRC Nick: garvitdelhi

IRC Channels: #kde-devel, #kde-soc, #kde-edu

Blog: http://garvitdelhi.blogspot.in/

This is awesome about GSoC: We get to write code with best community people and also get paid for it. We get to learn a lot of things as we progress with the summers.

Vineet Garg

Project Name: Improving KDE Connect encryption

A Brief Description: KDE Connect uses plain RSA encryption scheme to transfer packets between devices. This project aims to use SSL for packet encryption.

Status: Code refactored on Android side to provide backward compatibility. Started implementing SSL filter over sessions.

IRC Nick: vineet

IRC Channels: #kde-devel

Blog: https://thebinarybin.wordpress.com/

This is awesome about GSoC: Working with awesome people on awesome project who can pin point even the tiniest error and help you to do some great work.

This is what I learned during GSoC: About networking protocols, cryptography and security

Laszlo Kis-Adam

Project Name: KDevelop - Checker framework

A Brief Description: Create a reusable framework for problem checker tools. Update some tools to use the framework. Create new tools with the framework.

• Creating framework:
    In progress
  • Updating kdev-krazy:
    In progress
  • Updating kdev-cppcheck:
    In progress
  • Updating kdev-valgrind:
    In progress
  • Implementing clang-check:'
    In progress
  • Implementing pylint:
    In progress

Screenshot:

IRC Nick: dfighter

IRC Channels: kdevelop

Blog: https://dfighter1985.wordpress.com/

This is awesome about GSoC: I get to do my hobby (developing open source software) and get paid for it.

Marius Stanciu

Project Name: Adding OSM ( OpenStreetMap ) support for Marble

A Brief Description: The main part of the project consists in extending Marble's map editor ( Annotation Plugin ) to support OSM files. The goal is to allow the user to open, view, edit and export OSM maps while offering him all the tools ( as many as possible ) necessary.

Screenshot: Only technical stuff at the moment, exciting things coming later.

IRC Nick: stancium

IRC Channels: #marble #kde-soc

Blog: http://mariusoc.blogspot.ro/ ( soon available )

Great way to get me started with bigger projects.
    Introduced me to the concept of open-source ( was an alien concept to me ).
    Got the chance to contribute to such a great community, that is Kde! :D

This is what I learned during GSoC: Well, it's a bit early, eh?

Ahmed AbouElhamayed

Project Name: Continue improvement of KDE Reports.

A Brief Description: KDE Reports is a project started in GSoC 2013 that displays reports about different KDE projects and can help one get a general overview of any project activity. This year I'm planning to add customized reports so that one can request reports about a certain contributor activity. Also, I want to add reports about wikis, build status and project code.

Screenshot:

IRC Nick: TheMonster

IRC Channels: #kde-www, #kde-sysadmin, #kde-devel, #kde-soc

Blog:

This is awesome about GSoC: Best way I found till now to learn new stuff while enjoying your time and achieving something... Getting help and advice from some of the best people.

Maciej Poleski

Project Name: Refactoring for KDevelop

A Brief Description: Use Clang (and especially libTooling) to provide KDevelop with refactoring capabilities. Implementation lands in kdev-clang (plugin based on Clang designed to replace old C++ support)

Status: Skeleton of interface, Replacements -> DocumentChangeSet in progress

Done:

• CompilationDatabase for CMake based projects
  • ClangTool pre populated with cache content (TODO: updates)

Unfinished:

• Build system for plugin (works, but need more polish)

Screenshot:

IRC Nick:

IRC Channels:

Blog: https://blogs.kde.org/blogs/maciej

• Sometimes ordering of libraries in linker invocation makes difference (linker errors). This apply to LLVM/Clang libraries.

David Kolozsvari

Project Name: Improve Marble's OSM vector rendering and printing support

A Brief Description: Marble has a great rendering engine, which is fast (Marble starts up in 2-5 seconds), reliable and allows developers to easily improve some of its features. This projects main goals are to improve the following parts of the program: the rendering of the .osm file based vector tiles, the picking of the texture tiles, improving printing support. I also intend to fix any bugs that I may encounter in the process. This would improve Marble's rendering and maturity too, so the end-user should be more satisfied with the application.

• OSM vector tile rendering:
    • Working on the outlines of the streets and highways.

Screenshot: Coming soon.

IRC Nick: koldavid

IRC Channels: #marble #kde-soc

Blog: http://koldavidgsoc.blogspot.ro/

This is awesome about GSoC: There is a lot of things that I enjoy about GSoC, but probably the best thing is the nonstop interaction with the mentors and the students. Besides that, being a GSoC student is a great way to learn new stuff, not only regarding to programming, but to everything that comes in the way while coding or chating with others.

Aroonav Mishra

Project Name: Porting of Amarok to Qt5/KF5

A Brief Description: Currently, kdelibs is distributed as a single set of interconnected libraries which makes it bulky. Under the KDE Frameworks 5 efforts, these libraries are being remodelled into a set of independent modules enabling the developers to use only the specific parts which they need and avoid pulling unwanted dependencies. Amarok currently uses Qt 4, kdelibs and Plasma 4. This project aims to port amarok to Qt 5 while using KDE Frameworks 5 enabling amarok to derive their benefits.

Status: Most work in porting the cmake files has been done. I am now porting amarok with the aim to compile it using KF5::KDELib4Support which will take some time.

Screenshot:

IRC Nick: roguedragon

IRC Channels: #amarok, #kde-devel, #kde-soc, #kde, #gsoc

Blog: http://binaryspring.blogspot.in/

This is awesome about GSoC: I have always loved the amount of help that I get from the community and this is something that isn't unique to GSoC but is common in open source world.

Pinak Ahuja

Project Name: Better Tooling for Baloo

A Brief Description: This project aims to provide better Tooling for Baloo. These tools will include a UI and CLI tools to monitor status of Baloo and UI to visualize which types of files are taking how much of storage, utilizing the data indexed by Baloo.

Screenshot: not yet

IRC Nick: pinak

IRC Channels: #kde-baloo #kde-devel #plasma #kde-soc #kde-in

Blog: http://blog.pinak.me/

This is awesome about GSoC: What's not to love about GSoC, contributing to a FOSS project, full time support of a mentor and being paid for it.

This is what I learned during GSoC: Too soon? Though I'm sure this will be a huge list.

Joseph W. Joshua

Project Name: Kopete - Improved History Plugin

A Brief Description: Kopete currently has an history plugin, but it is not up to spec. This project will focus on creating a new, improved plugin, storing the data in SQL.

Screenshot: ---Too soon? UI work not started yet.

IRC Nick: joshwambua

IRC Channels:

1. kopete
  2. kde-devel
  3. kde-soc

Blog: Coming soon

This is awesome about GSoC: -Lots of support, and everyone is given room to think, and share our ideas.

This is what I learned during GSoC: --I am continually learning alot as time goes by.