GSoC/2012/StatusReports: Difference between revisions

From KDE Community Wiki
< GSoC‎ | 2012
Line 419: Line 419:
'''Project Name:''' Improve saving of charts to OpenDocument in Calligra
'''Project Name:''' Improve saving of charts to OpenDocument in Calligra

'''A _Brief_ Description'''  The chart plugin of Calligra enables the functionality of inserting and configuring charts in applications like Words, Tables, Stage, etc. But at present, it is having some issues especially while saving charts. These applications just lose important chart data by saving. Like even at simple roundtrips ( loading->saving->loading ), in most of the cases, either the chart is lost, or the data is lost, or some style/formatting is lost. So the aim of this project is to get this plugin to work in a fully functional manner.
'''A _Brief_ Description'''  The chart plugin of Calligra enables the functionality of inserting and configuring charts in applications like Words, Tables, Stage, etc. But at present, it is having some issues especially while saving charts. These applications just lose important chart data by saving. Like even at simple roundtrips ( loading->saving->loading ), in most of the cases, either the chart is lost, or the data is lost, or some style/formatting is lost. So the aim of this project is to fix that and improve the current situation.

''' Status: '''   
''' Status: '''   
Line 439: Line 439:

''' This is what I learned during GSoC: '''
''' This is what I learned during GSoC: '''

== Alessandro Cosentino ==
== Alessandro Cosentino ==

Revision as of 20:24, 20 July 2012

Status Report:GSoC and SoK 2012

GSoC

Puneet Goyal

Project Name: Enhancement to peer-to-peer DBus for Telepathy DBus Tubes

A _Brief_ Description Telepathy is a modular framework for real-time communications that handles voice, video, text, file transfer, and so on. It makes extensive use of the D-Bus messaging bus and a modular design. When an application connects to a peer to peer dbus tube, it must know what exactly to look for. Even When it registers for another object, the other side of the tube must know about it. So the ideas is to create a class that could ease the object to register and unregister on the DBus Tubes, and to provide you with an interface similar to the one as a DBus Server.

org.freedesktop.DBus.Peer Interface and Adaptor-  complete
               org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager Interface and Adaptor - complete
               Tabbed Kwhiteboard using ObjectManager Interface - Pending

Screenshot:

IRC Nick: puneetgoyal

IRC Channels: #kde-telepathy, #kde-in

Blog: http://blog.puneetgoyal.co.in

This is awesome about GSoC:

This is what I learned during GSoC:

Cyril Oblikov

Project Name: Asynchronous errors handling during file transfer

A _Brief_ Description The goal is to bring powerful, easy to use and suitable for both desktops and touch devices way to handle errors during copying or moving files. Since this project will be finished, errors will no more block copying process. The functionality for kdelibs is already done in last GSoC. You can see my blog posts about it: first, second.

Google+: munknex

Blog: http://munknex.net

Report 1: New KDE Copy Dialog: First Preview

Rishab Arora

Project Name: Improving Data Storage, Logs and adding DSO catalogs to KStars

A _Brief_ Description My proposal aims at improving the way the data is handled inside KStars. All user data which is currently being fed by multiple text files can be consolidated into a SQLite database which also makes the data more manageable and resolves many issues. This will also let me improve drastically on the ability to create portable logs about sky objects with a detailed interface and storage. However, in cases where reading the text files (comma/space/colon delimited) is necessary, I shall create separate provisions for processing them which is robust, tested and reliable. I shall also target the way the sky objects are stored and referenced and transfer all those objects to another SQLite database to make the data more manageable.

Status: User generated data is now stored in a SQLite database. Built file parsers to handle text file processing where absolutely required.

IRC Nick: spacetime

IRC Channels: #kde-edu #kstars #kde-in

Blog: http://blog.rishab.in/category/kde/

Shreya Pandit

Project Name: Introduction of Context Action Based Layout and UI Improvements in Gluon Creator

A _Brief_ Description Gluon Creator, as we all know is that wonder pen, that allows a gaming freak to wield his magic with click-and-go! The craze for game development has grown exponentially in terms of popularity in the last few years. For an open source lover, an obvious choice to start with is Gluon Creator. It would be so awesome, if everyone, from a novice to a professional feels elated and at ease while dealing with creator.

The project caters to this by introducing a new Slideshow feature like the Startup tutorial in Qt creator, that acquaints the user with all aspects of the application. It also aims at introducing a Game Distribution Wizard, that will reform the way users can share and enjoy games! Finally, I will reform many parts of Gluon Creator's current UI layout,making it more context based,so that it is more informative and usable :)

Status: The slideshow has been completed. The welcome screen has now been modified to show all new options, and the old page based layout is now gone. Now I am working on the context based layout feature, that tracks current focus of Creator and applies all actions (cut/copy/paste/save and the like) correctly to whatever is in user's attention.

IRC Nick: shreyap

IRC Channels: #gluon #kde-in

Blog: www.shreyapandit.com

Sinny Kumari

Project: Advanced features and enhancements for Plasma Media Center

A _Brief_ Description Plasma Media Center (PMC) aims to provide users all the media related facilities like Listening Music, Watching Videos, Viewing Pictures, etc. Currently, PMC have all the basic features that a Media Center need to have. My project is to add advanced features in PMC like add to playlist, cover fetching, picture slideshow, tagging, online services like fetching pictures from picasa and many more.

Link (Wiki):http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/Plasma_Media_Center

Link (Project): https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/multimedia/plasma-mediacenter/repository

Blog: http://www.sinny.in/node/21 http://www.sinny.in/node/19

IRC : #plasma-mediacenter (ksinny)

Yash Shah

Project Name: Multimodal Accessibility: Using Computer Vision to improve Speech Recognition in Simon

A _Brief_ Description A major obstacle for command and control speech recognition systems is to differentiate commands from background noise. Many systems solve this by using physical buttons or certain key phrases to activate/deactivate the speech recognition. This project explores the use of computer vision to determine when to activate / deactivate the sound recognition using visual cues. For a media centre or robot applications, it would make a lot more sense to only activate the recognition when the user is actively looking at the screen/robot and is speaking something. This is strikingly similar to the day-to-day communication between humans! Face recognition can also be employed to provide different speech models for different people. In this way the media centre could adapt to different people in one household. Checkout my blog post about it

IRC Nick: yashshah

IRC Channels: #kde-accessibility

Blog: yashshah.com/blog/category/kde/

Vinay S Rao

Project Name: Gluon: Implementing Saving/Loading Gluon Engine's Game State

A _Brief_ Description My project mainly involves providing effective ways to save the Gluon Engine's Game state. This is a feature that any game developer would like to provide. To implement this first requires serialization of the current scene of the game. My project takes this further, by creating basic scene graphs, to compare two scenes. That way, only the necessary data is saved. Also, variants of basic save/load APIs like checkpoints, level saves etc are to be built. I plan to follow up this GSoC project, with an implementation of a replay feature, that takes scene graphs further by using timestamps of events, and using deterministic prediction to minimize data and processing required.

IRC Nick: vsrao

Zhengliang Feng

Project Name: Integrate Spotify into Amarok

A _Brief_ Description This project is to integrate Spotify collection and music streaming into Amarok. So that users can login into Spotify, access their playlists and stream & play music through Amarok.

Screenshot:

IRC Nick: ofan

IRC Channels: #kde-soc, #amarok.dev

Blog: http://ofan.me

This is awesome about GSoC: GSoC offered an great opportunity to practice programming skills and contribute code to open source projects.

This is what I learned during GSoC: Communication is very important.

Viranch Mehta

Project Name: KDE games: Port KBreakout to QtQuick

Brief Description: The project is to port the current game graphics interface to Qt's popular QtQuick.

Status: Porting complete: Open for alpha testing and bug fixing.

IRC Nick: viranch

IRC Channels: #kde-games

Jigar Raisinghani

Project Name: SUPPORT FOR PIVOT TABLES IN CALLIGRA SHEETS

A _Brief_ Description Pivot Tables will be a data summarization feature for data visualization application (Calligra Sheets). Users can summarize data (also from ods files) by simply using drag & drop functionality. User has the freedom to choose the interested fields to work with and organize/summarize data as he/she wishes. It gives the user the analytical power by allowing him/her to rotate/transform columns to rows and vice versa and hence called “PIVOT”.

Status: Working on Extraction of data using QAbstractTableModel implementation

Screenshot: In the blog link given below

IRC Nick: jigar

IRC Channels: #kde #calligra

Blog: http://jigarraisinghani.blogspot.in/2012/06/pivot-tablesdesign.html

Paul Mendez

Project Name: Support for edition of shape animations in Calligra Stage

A _Brief_ Description At present, Calligra Stage can only show shape animations it loads from a file. It is not possible to add, edit or remove shape animations using Calligra Stage user interface. The goal of this project is to implement an user interface to let users easily add, edit or remove shape animations, manage animation trigger events and change animation parameters.

Status: Support of formula tag for animations is already commited. User interface and data model used to present animation data of each slide in a docker is almost done. Next Step: start adding some edition features.

Screenshot:

IRC Nick: paul_m

IRC Channels: #kde #calligra

Blog: http://paulm-byte.blogspot.com/

Avnee Nathani

Project Name: Porting KDiamond (game) to Qt Quick

Brief Description: KDiamond is one of the addictive KDE-Games. Whilst the game is very intuitive to play, I feel that the gameplay and the user interactions can be improved to make it more compelling. My proposal is to port KDiamond to Qt Quick - which would allow me to enhance the UI for better gameplay, and with the UI capabilities of QML - give a new feel of the game to the player. I also plan to add some more UI components like - dialogs, particles effect, transitions to the game to to make it more engaging and fun to play!

Status: Implementing UI of the game - adding transitions and animations, integrating game graphics

IRC Nick: AvneeNathani

IRC Channels: #kdegames

Blog: http://avnee.wordpress.com/

Abhinav Badola

Project Name: Video Metadata Support in Exiv2 library

Brief Description All recent digital-still camera devices provide video capture. digiKam must be able to manage these files as it do with images. digiKam can already play-back video and register files to the database, but it lack important metadata used to catalogue and sort items (as date, camera name, and all record conditions). To improve video files support, video metadata management done in background needs to be improved. This requires extensive work to be done on Exiv2 shared library, the back-bone of digiKam for photo metadata handling.

Status: Implemented read functionality for the RIFF and Matroska container format, Working on Database Management in digiKam

IRC Nick: badola

IRC Channels: #digikam, #kde, #kde-in,

Amandeep Singh

Project Name: Focus Tracking in KWin / KMagnifier

Brief Description: Currently the KWin zoom plugin and KMagnifier implement focus tracking using Kaccessible which only works for Qt/KDE applications. In this project I will change the existing code in the KWin zoom-plugin and KMagnifier to use DBus to connect with AT-SPI2 and fetch needed information about focused widget. Also I will identify and fix cases where common applications are not sending the focus events and correct accessibility problems in Qt's widgets as they emerge, for example Qt's tree-views.

Status: libkdeaccessibility extended, patches for KMag and KWin done to use libkdeaccessibility rather then kdeaccessible (not master yet till libkdeaccessibility is stable), fixes for Konsole done to proper track focus, work started on Dolphin (ItemViewNG based QAccessibleInterface). Also there is still a bug in KFileDialog (used for file open/save, seems focus tracking in lineEdit does not proper work). If there is time left once all that is done (and no more urgent issues show up) maybe looking at Fregl's patch for Plasma to extend it/make focus tracking proper working there too.

IRC Nick: dedman

IRC Channels: #kde-accessibility

Blog: http://amanonit.blogspot.com/search/label/kde

Samikshan Bairagya

Project Name: Add "What's Interesting..." feature to KStars and make star-hopping user-configurable.

A _Brief_ Description Often beginner astronomers open up KStars, look around a bit, but then can't figure out what to do next. This project aims to make KStars more beginner friendly through a new feature called "What's Interesting..." This feature will consist of a QML based easy-to-use user interface that will suggest sky objects currently visible in the sky taking into account the equipment-wise and location-wise limitations/availability of the user. The user's experience level and interest in astronomy will also be taken into account, thus providing the beginner/intermediate user a more personalised experience. Also this project aims to make the star hopping feature of KStars more usable by giving the user the option to specify equipment and location conditions.

Status: Done with designing the model-view architecture to show list of interesting sky-objects. Currently testing different algorithms to decide the visibility of sky-objects. Pending beautification of UI, code documentation. Will start with star hopping then.

Screenshot: Refer to blog link.

IRC Nick: samxan

IRC Channels: #kde-edu , #kstars

Blog: http://samxan.wordpress.com/category/foss/gsoc-2012/

This is awesome about GSoC: Its fun and you learn a lot of stuff and you feel great!

This is what I learned during GSoC: Till now, understood the awesome concept of model-view. Also loved the way C++ models could be exported to QML for use with Qt Quick views. Also it is almost best not to overlook mistakes to get stuff done.

Matěj Laitl

Project Name: Statistics synchronization for pluggable devices and Last.fm in Amarok

A Brief Description: Amarok can maintain useful per-track play statistics and meta-data such as: play count, first/last played date, rating and labels; these are tracked for each collection separately. This project will implement statistics synchronization between all collections that support them (local, iPod) in its first part. Second part is to implement synchronization of the statistics from scrobbling services such as Last.fm to Amarok. (other way around already partially works)

Status: Latest status can be tracked on my blog. By the end of 3rd week, statistics synchronization between local collection already works.

Screenshot: here

IRC Nick: strohel

IRC Channels: #amarok, #gtkpod

Blog: strohel.blogspot.com

This is awesome about GSoC: I can finally work on open-source full-time during the summer without having to take less fun jobs on proprietary software.

This is what I learned during GSoC: Mainly that Amarok codebase is in a desperate need of some major clean-ups. ;)

Martin Küttler

Project Name: New interface for Cantor

A _Brief_ Description Cantor is a KDE application for mathematics. It uses various backend software to do the actual calculations, and strives to provide a common, intuitive and nice-looking interface. The design of the original interface had some limitations though, and it is the goal of this project to implement a new interface for Cantor. The first step is to reproduce the features (and the look&feel mostly, though some improvements are there) of the old interface. After that a couple of new features, such as a nice search&replace bar, are planed.

Status: Currently I still re-implement features that the old interface already has, but there is not much left to do for that.

IRC Nick: mkuettler

Blog: mkuettler.blogspot.com

Phalgun Guduthur

Project Name: Semantic desktop collection in Amarok

A _Brief_ Description Nepomuk has been a great semantic framework in recent years with many applications like Dolphin using it for managing metadata associated with its files and resources. But Amarok, still doesn't make use of the existing framework which comes bundled with any KDE distro. So, the objective of the project is to develop a Nepomuk based collection backend for Amarok which is functionally equivalent to the existing embedded MySql backend. An earlier attempt to achieve this was made this in GSoC 2008, but it never went on to be implemented and bundled along with the Amarok package because of reliability and performance issues. This is another attempt to make use of the excellent Nepomuk framework in Amarok and make it more semantic.

Status: Have a working Nepomuk Collection in Amarok now. Can be used as a plugin. Fine tuning the collection and tightening the loose ends.

IRC Nick: phalgun

IRC Channels: #amarok, #kde-in, #pes-os

Blog: http://blog.phalgun.in/tagged/gsoc

This is awesome about GSoC: Getting to know new people and is a platform to start contributing to open source projects that people use. Being part of something that so many people around the world use is satisfying.

Maximilian Löffler

Project Name: Kate Scripting IDE Plugin

A _Brief_ Description Kate supports a variety of possibilities for scripting, for example indentation and user defined commands. Although scripting in Kate is quite powerful, it is rarely used. This project aims at making scripting within Kate more popular by providing a plugin for Kate, which makes the process of creating and managing scripts easier.

Status: After figuring out the core capabilities which the IDE plugin should hold, they are now going to be implemented. Currently implementing script wizard for creating new scripts. There will be more features added in the future.

Blog: http://kate-editor.org

This is awesome about GSoC: GSoC is the perfect opportunity for me to deepen my C++ skills in combination with working on an awesome project.

Ganeshprasad T P

Project Name: Bullet integration into Gluon

A Brief Description Gluon has been an excellent cross-platform free and open source 2D game engine from KDE. It aims to make life easier for game developers by providing a simple but powerful API to handle 2D objects, sounds and inputs.Gluon will be a revolution in the way we’ve seen 2D game creation. People will be able to create new games in a more flexible manner, while the Gluon web content system will allow them to earn rewards.ntegration of Bullet physics to Gluon is a huge addition in this direction. Since the gaming world has entered the rage of Good effects and better look(better Graphics) ,The integration of Bullet physics to Gluon engine provides game developer to create games with clear effects such as collision detection, collision response etc.. in Gluon. This will be huge advantage to develop modern graphics games through Gluon.

IRC Nick: gani

IRC Channels: #gluon, #kde-in, #pes-os

Blog: http://ganeshprasad.tumblr.com/

This is awesome about GSoC: provides excellent opportunity to know new contributors of same interest and resourceful persons who are highly motivational and is a awesome platform to start contributing to open source projects that people use. Place to learn a lot.The concept that code we write is used by world is exciting.

Islam Wazery

Project Name: Import Tool Revamp in digiKam

A Brief Description digiKam features a graphical interface to access and download pictures from digital cameras. Code is rather old, using Qt3Support classes for the icon view, the UI code intermangled deeply with backend code, and has not seen very much care and love for some years. This project would involve taking the old code apart, rewriting a clean code base backend and front-end, but also adding user interface elements to make the most important everyday task as easy as possible.

IRC Nick: wazery

IRC Channels: #digikam, #ubuntu-eg

Project link: http://community.kde.org/Digikam/GSoC2012/CameraUserInterfaceRevamp

This is awesome about GSoC: Till now, understood the awesome concept of model-view, the digiKam code base, and getting to know new contributors.

Luís Gabriel Lima

Project Name: QMLify Plasma widgets

A _Brief_ Description: The aim of this project is to port some of the plasmoids that are currently written in C++ to QML. A great advantage in porting it is reduce the code maintenance effort for the KDE community. The plasmoids written in QML will have considerably less code as QML allows the creation of fluid UIs in a powerful declarative way.

LCD Weather Station - Almost done (Pending? popup icon)
   Pager - Work in progress
   Weather Forecast - To be done
   Kdeexample template - To be done

IRC Nick: luisgabriel

IRC Channels: #kde-devel, #plasma, #kde-brasil

Blog: http://luisgabriel.me

Pankaj Bhambhani

Project Name: Facebook Integration for Choqok

A Brief Description To enhance Choqok user experience by integration features of the social networking site Facebook. Primary or elementary functionalities include Posting to Facebook, Viewing Feed, Ability to Like and Comment a Post, etc. The Facebook Resource for Akonadi is an excellent library resource for this job. It can retrieve user’s news feed and list of posts and can also post on the user’s wall. See http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/api/ for more details

Status: We can post to facebook and also view posts on Choqok ( Text and Images can be rendered properly)

IRC Nick: panx, pankajb64

IRC Channels: #choqok, #kde-in

Blog: www.pankajb64.co.nr

This is awesome about GSOC: The fact that you could learn about so many different things so quickly and so easily and get to interact with so many people. Also, the fact that code reuse is beneficial for quick and easy development of new things from similar old things.

This is what I learned during GSOC: Always keep you code readable :) There may be others using or editing it. Comments are like gold dust :D

Abhishek B S

Project Name: Improve Formula Shape in Calligra

A Brief Description: Improve the Formula Shape for Calligra in the areas of basic math utilities, inline editing, general layout of formulas,fonts and provide support in MathML for 'XML entities'. Formula shape would definitely need these features to be complete. Many of the users would love to have formula shapes improved and I feel these are great enhancements.

Status: A good looking tab for commonly used formulas in Formula Editing Tool. Improved the layout for superscripts and subscripts.

IRC Nick: abhishek_

IRC Channels: #calligra, #kde-in, #pes-os

This is awesome about GSoC: To work on real-world softwares apart from the smaller projects in the universities is amazing and provides scope for personal improvement in terms of programming and product development. Even better is to be a part of a successful and dynamic community.

Lisa Vitolo

Project name: Solid API extension for partitioning, and a Dolphin plugin to use it.

A brief description: implement a high-level submodule of Solid for basic partitioning operations; this should make the task of writing a partitioner easier than it is with the current libraries. In addition I'm writing a partitioner in QML, integrated as a Dolphin plugin, that uses this library.

Status: the library is feature complete, except for a couple of bugs to fix. You can register, undo and redo basilar actions: removing, resizing, moving, creating, formatting and modifying properties of partitions, plus partition table management, all for GPT and MBR. All classes and public methods of the API are documented for doxygen, and there is a tutorial for developing applications that use this module. The QML application is complete, but it needs to be integrated as a plugin.

IRC Nick: shainer

IRC Channels: #kde-soc, #solid, #chakra, #chakra-devel

This is awesome about GSoC: I had the opportunity to get more involved in the KDE community and techbase.

This is what I learned during GSoC: how to organize my time, and the work to do, when I have to face several obligations at once (mainly university exams). Plus I had the opportunity to improve a lot my knowledge of QML and the model-view paradigm.

Smit Patel

Project Name: Bibliography engine integration and UI to manage citations in Calligra Words

A _Brief_ Description Currently Calligra Words can add/remove citations and bibliographies. But it doesn't store citations for future use and doesn't have any interface for bibliography engines. The aim of this project is to provide a user interface which will let the users manage and organize citation database and to provide an interface for bibliography engines which allows them to insert citation and bibliography in Words.

Bibliography database UI - complete
                bridge actions 1) insert_citation 2) insert_cite_record - complete
                action insert_bibliography for bridge interface - pending

Screenshot:

IRC Nick: smitpatel

IRC Channels: #calligra, #kde-in

Blog: http://smitr.blogspot.com/

Brijesh Patel

Project Name: Improve saving of charts to OpenDocument in Calligra

A _Brief_ Description The chart plugin of Calligra enables the functionality of inserting and configuring charts in applications like Words, Tables, Stage, etc. But at present, it is having some issues especially while saving charts. These applications just lose important chart data by saving. Like even at simple roundtrips ( loading->saving->loading ), in most of the cases, either the chart is lost, or the data is lost, or some style/formatting is lost. So the aim of this project is to fix that and improve the current situation.

Fix load->save->load roundtrip - complete
                Fix saving of axis - complete
                Font editor for axis labels,legend,etc. - complete
                UI for setting markers per dataset - complete
                Add commands for everything - currently working on that

Screenshot:

IRC Nick: erione

IRC Channels: #calligra, #kde-soc

Blog: http://erionism.blogspot.com/

Alessandro Cosentino

Project Name: A feed aggregator for ownCloud

A _Brief_ Description The goal of this project is to create an ownCloud application for reading and managing RSS/Atom feeds. As opposed to most of the aggregators existing on the web, the ownCloud aggregator will give the user full ownership and control over the data, which is in the general philosophy of ownCloud. The aggregator will have a web user interface and will integrate with other applications in the ownCloud suite. Moreover, it will provide a web API for synchronization with mobile and standalone desktop feed readers, KDE Akregator above all.

Model layer + database layer - complete
   Web GUI - almost complete
   API - starts July 16th

Screenshot:

IRC Nick: zimba12

IRC Channels: #owncloud-dev, #akregator, #kde-soc

Blog: Algorithms for the Kitchen

A.H.M. Mahfuzur Rahman (Mamun)

Project Name: Face Recognition for Digikam

A _Brief_ Description The aim of this project is to develop a workable system of face recognition for digikam. Keeping this in mind, we are working on several algorithms in libface. Some are improvement of previous algorithms implemented in libface and others are new implementation. After the satisfactory implementation of algorithms, we will update libkface with the improvements and incorporate the algorithms with digikam UI.

Eigenface + Fisherface Implementation - complete
   Libface GUI - complete for testing now (Refurbishment will be done if necessary)
   HMM implementation - Ongoing ...
   Update of digikam UI and Integration to Digikam UI of the algorithms - Hope to start at the end of July    

Screenshot:

Not available right now. The work has been done on algorithms hitherto.

IRC Nick: nightCrawler

IRC Channels: #digikam, #okular

Blog: Nightcrawler in Shadow

Shrikrishna Holla

Project Name: Adding an Infinite Canvas / Wraparound mode for Krita

A _Brief_ Description Krita focuses on texturing, matte painting and comics drawing. For texturing, the Krita image model needs to be expanded in two ways: First, the canvas needs to be made infinite, so the user can paint textures of any size without stopping, and second, a mode for creating tileable textures where painting strokes that go off the canvas, wrap over on the opposite side avoiding texture seams along the edges. Panning in this mode would essentially work just as an offset for the whole canvas to wrap around, allowing artists to check tiled textures for seams.

Status: Infinite Canvas mode up and running; last few bugs to fix. Wraparound mode - pending

IRC Nick: shrikrishna

IRC Channels: #krita, #kde-in, #pes-os

This is awesome about GSoC: The experience, the exposure, the learning curve, the confidence it gives

This is what I learned during GSoC: A lot of things; starting from technical stuff like the usage of git to communication skills on how to engage with people on IRC

Francisco Fernandes

Project Name: A Sandpainting brush for Krita

A _Brief_ Description Sandpainting is the art of rearrange powdered pigments onto a surface to make an unfixed, or fixed, granular painting. Unfixed sand paintings have a long established cultural history in numerous social groups around the globe. This project propose a simple unfixed sand brush to the digital painting software Krita, based on grain particle simulations.

Paintop loads properly [Done]
                Particles physics settings possible using the brush settings widget. [Done]
                Particles created on the canvas made persistent by Krita annotations [Done]
                Creation a custom grid to improve particles interactions (collisions and sellection) [on the run]

Creation of the animation framework 
                Particle spread on canvas (needs collision)

Screenshot: status

Video: Sand paintop 02 - Particles with velocity and acceleration

IRC Nick: chicao

IRC Channels: #krita, #kde-brasil, #archlinux-br

Blog: Pe De Pinico

This is awesome about GSoC: The community interaction and the learning is the most valuable experiences I'm getting from the GSoC.

This is what I learned during GSoC: Improved my C++ and Qt4 programming. Learned about integration methods (had to search and test many techniques to find a proper one) Learned about particles system and real-time physics.

Roney Gomes

Project Name: Porting Games to a More Modern Graphics Framework

A Brief Description: When Qt changed from version 3 to 4, there was a significant lack of performance regarding QGraphicsView, which forced the developers to build their own graphics framework. Now, that QGraphicsView has matured, the return to the framework seems feasible. That's a good practice, since it avoids the developers to constantly reinvent the wheel, primarily focusing on the development of their applications rather than in the tools necessary to create them.

Status: Working on KGoldRunner, trying to add the fancy borders some themes have around their backgrounds.

IRC Nick: roney

IRC Channels: #kde-games-devel #kde-devel

Blog: http://logofn.blogspot.com.br/

This is awesome about GSoC: Learning is certainly one of the most exciting things of life, actually to see your creation working is something really awesome. GSoC gave me the opportunity to learn, see and share the fruits of my work.

Felix Rohrbach

Project Name: OCS specific JSON parser in Attica

A Brief Description Attica is a client library for the Open Collaboration Service protocol. Open Collaboration Services (OCS) is a common protocol for providing social networking and collaboration across different services. My task is to write a JSON parser in Attica, as part of the ongoing process for creating a standardized JSON interface with OCS.

Status: Changed the design of attica to work with multiple parsers. Currently writing parsers for the individual json inputs.

IRC Nick: fxrh

IRC Channels: #kde-devel #ocs #gluon

Vegard Øye

Project Name: Further Improve Kate's vi Input Mode

A Brief Description: Fix various bugs in the vi mode, improve the integration between selections, folded code and ex commands, and revamp the repeat system.

Status: Added mode cursors and regexp ranges, added folding commands, improved the search code, improved the "%" motion, improved the ":sort", ":buffer", ":edit" and ":write" commands, added the ":ls", ":bdelete", ":tabclose", ":tabedit", ":tabnew", ":tabnext", ":tabprevious", ":tabfirst" and ":tablast" commands, and refactored the command code. Currently working on the repeat system.

IRC Nick: epsil

IRC Channels: #kate, #kde-soc

SoK

Heena

Project Name: To develop the KDE game pairs and to work as a theme editor for this game.

A _Brief_ Description In the next KDE release the game Pairs will make its first public appearance. It is designed to increase the logic and foster the IQ skills of children.

IRC Nick: stack3457

Screenshot: Coming soon

IRC Channels: #kdegames , #kde-edu

Google+: heena

Blog: my_blog

KDE summer of code is great platform foster the programming skills.

I get to learn more about the kde applications and significance.

Sharad Dixit

Project Name: Implementation of Variable thickness lines in Calligra Karbon

A _Brief_ Description One of the most fundamental basics of drawing is varying the width of your lines to show shape, form and perspective. Almost every line tapers at either end, and often gets thicker and thinner in different places as needed. For purely technical and histrorical reasons though, every vector program (Illustrator, Inkscape, Karbon etc) make curves all one hard width. Task is to create a variable width path shape / tool, much like the path tool, would allow drawing curves, but where each node could have its width set so that the line width changed smoothly from node to node. As Karbon is part of the Calligra suite, this would be beneficial to apps such as Krita,also.karbon

Screenshot: Here

IRC Nick: illumiknight

IRC Channels: #calligra

Google+: sharad

Blog: Here

This is awesome about KDE Summer of code:

This is what I learned during KDE Soc:

Utku Aydın

Project Name: Port Marble to Plasma Active platform

A Brief Description: Project's aim is a nicely polished, end-user ready Marble Touch for Plasma Active. That will enable users to use their favorite Virtual Globe on their Plasma Active powered tablets.

Status: Creating a Foursquare online service, a plugin that shows venues on the map

Screenshot: http://ompldr.org/vZTVmNA (Latest status of Foursquare plugin)

IRC Nick: utku

IRC Channels: #marble

Blog: http://utkuaydin.wordpress.com (nothing related to SoK yet)

This is awesome about SoK: Like my previous Google Code-in experience, I get a chance to work with talented people in a more organized process.

This is what I learned during SoK: QML is awesome.

Jasneet Singh Bhatti

Project Name: Improvement of the current Amarok Unit Testing scenario

A Brief Description This project aims at creating useful comprehensive unit tests that will provide coverage for the core components of the Amarok source, along with high quality documentation that will make it easier for other developers to write tests for the features they implement and hopefully for those of others too

IRC Nick: jasneet

IRC Channels: #amarok, #amarok-dev

Blog: http://jascmevirtually.tumblr.com/ Will be updated regularly with the project progress

This is awesome about SoK: The opportunity to interact and learn from highly skilled and experienced developers and make a significant contribution to the open source community

This is what I am learning during SoK: Understanding workflows, better coding conventions, design, testing and much more

David Yang

Project Name: Developing and improving the pairs game from KDE-edu.

A _Brief_ Description Making the first release of pairs a good one. Pairs is an educational game designed to exercise the memory skills of small children. Multiplayer coming soon!

Screenshot:

IRC Nick: DavidYang

IRC Channels: #kde-edu #kde-games

Blog: davidosyang.wordpress.com. Completly empty for now.

This is awesome about SoK: That I can get a mentor to help me get into contributing to an open source project.

This is what I learned during SoK: Yeah, I know how to answer this before I've started my project. Want me to grab a copy of kde 5.3 from 2015 while I'm at it?

Garima Joshi

Project Name: Grammar Checking in Calligra.

A Brief Description This project aims to add support for grammar checking in Calligra. For this purpose we have decided to use the link-grammar parser. Besides the actual checking visualisation with some underline (needs to be integreted with the red underline of spellchecking) and some dialogs to control the behaviors need to be added also.

Status: Currently redoing the whole undelining framework for both spell and grammar checking.

IRC Nick: garima_

IRC Channels: #calligra

Blog: http://garimajoshi.blogspot.in

This is awesome about SoK: Getting a chance to work with an awesome mentor and a great community and getting a first hand experience in software development.

This is what I learned during SoK: To work on real world software problems and a huge codebase. Coding conventions and development workflow.

Varun Herale

Project Name: Wallpaper Kipi-Plugin

A Brief Description This project aims to make the wallpaper plugin work in KDE4 which uses Plasma desktop and D-Bus IPC.

Status: Coding done and waiting to push a patch to plasma after feature freeze ends.

IRC Nick: varun_herale

IRC Channels: #digikam

Blog:

This is awesome about SoK: Getting a chance to work with a mentor and community on something that I use a lot, and also the experience gained in software development.

This is what I learned during SoK: More about KDE projects, coding conventions, testing, and development workflow!