kdepimlibs Splitting Epic
The KDE PIM community has outlined the following plan for splitting kdepimlibs into Frameworks libraries
- Wait for the kdelibs split to be completed and the preview release to be made
- A frameworks branch to be created in kdepimlibs and Qt5 / KF5 basic porting to be performed here mostly by the Frameworks team (old frameworks branch to be reviewed and deleted)
- Once work is started here no more style fixes to be applied to Master
- Code relying on qt3support and deprecated libraries will be removed as part of the porting
- Once porting is completed then kdepimlibs will be spilt into separate frameworks
- Once split the maintainers of each framework will take over work to make any API and code changes required
- PIM Frameworks will be released as and when they are ready, we do not need to release them all at the same time
- PIM Frameworks will be prioritised depending on usage, i.e. libraries needed by KDE Workspaces and Kolab should be released first
While porting of KDE PIM apps is expected to take far longer than kdepimlibs, it is strongly encouraged that no PIM Framework be released without at least some "real-world" testing against client code.
See the other Frameworks pages for the KDE Frameworks Policies, the kdelibs Split Policies and the Definition of Done .
The kdepimlibs specific policies are:
- Modules that use qt3support are to be removed
- Deprecated API is allowed to be removed
- Source compatibility requirements are relaxed due to fewer clients, but major rewrites are discouraged. Instead port the old library and create a separate new library (e.g. KHolidays and QHolidays).
Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0
unless otherwise noted.