- Rain is expected. Weather can change a lot, in the last weeks of August the temperature ranged from ~20°C in the day (sometimes a bit higher in non-cloudy days) to ~12°C in the nights (or a bit lower).
- Smoking is generally allowed in restaurants; some places have separate rooms for smokers and non-smorkers.
- Credit cards
- Often accepted in the restaurants, less accepted in "traditional" pubs, but it's always better to check on the website of the specific place.
- Cash machines
- No shortage of ATMs in the city center. Few ATMs are also available close to the venue.
- prices shown in restaurants and shops do include VAT (DPH, Daň z přidané hodnoty).
- Vegetarian/vegan meals
- Vegetarian meals are not always easy to find. Vegan ones are more complicated, but few options are available (see below)
- When lunch and dinner are served
- Lunch: restaurants usually offer a "lunch menu" with 2-4 choices during working days in 11.00-14.00 timeframe (even if the more choices are usually available after 12.30). The lunch menus are usually visible on http://lunchtime.cz (use this link for restaurants close to the venue) or on the restaurant's website. Restaurants usually do not close after lunch time.
- Dinner: closing time of the kitchen depends on the place, but usually not before _at least_ 21.30 during working days and a bit later in the weekend. Many places are closed on Sunday.
- No fixed percentage tips, usually the price is rounded a bit. Usually when you pay, you state the amount you want to give out (price+tip).
Typical drinks served in bars: apart from beers, soft drinks, here are some local specialities:
- Kofola - aka Czech coke.
- South Moravian wines
- Becherovka is an herbal bitters, often drunk as a digestive aid that is produced in Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic
- Slivovice is a distilled beverage made from Damson plums, hence it is frequently called plum brandy. Beware, it's strong!
Some reference prices:
- Beer on tap is usually 25 CZK to 35 CZK
- Daily menu (lunchtime) is 80 CZK to 115 CZK
- Dinner is 150 CZK and more
Close to the venues
See also a map of places close the venue: Akademy/2014/Map.
- Rebio Park (map), open Mon-Fri 11-14. Vegetarian, not vegan.
- Na Purkyňce (map), open 11-24. Few vegetarian options not always in the lunch menu.
- Pizza Fortis (map), take away and few tables, open Su-We 10-23, Thu-Sa 10-24.
- Paladeo (Spanish cuisine, map), open Mo-Fr 11-22, Sa 12-22, closed Sunday (even if the sites says differently), Few vegetarian options not always in the lunch menu.
- Klub cestovatelů BRNO (Arabic cuisine, map), open Mon-Thu 11-23, Fri 11-24, Sa 12-24, Su 12-22. Also vegetarian and vegan dishes.
- Stopkova Plzeňská Pivnice, (Czech cuisine, map) open Mo-Su 11:00-24:00, limited vegetarian options
- Hotel Pegas Brno, (Czech cuisine, map), open Mo-Sa 9:00-24:00, Su 11:00-23:00, limited vegetarian options
- Vegalite, (Czech cuisine, map), open Mo-Fr 11:00-01:00, Sa 16:00-01:00, kitchen closes at 22:00, vegetarian and vegan
- Leonessa, (Italian cuisine map), open Mo-Th 11:30-23:00, Fr 11:30-24:00, Sa 12:00-24:00, Sun closed. Vegetarian dishes available, some of them can be prepared as vegan upon request
Vegetarian and vegan friendly
See the notes in the previous sections.
Bars and Pubs
This page was last modified on 4 September 2014, at 20:26. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0
unless otherwise noted.