- Rain is expected. Weather can change a lot, in the last weeks of August the temperature ranged from ~20°C in the day (sometimes a bit higher in non-cloudy days) to ~12°C in the nights (or a bit lower).
- Smoking is generally allowed in restaurants; some places have separate rooms for smokers and non-smorkers.
- Credit cards
- Often accepted in the restaurants, less accepted in "traditional" pubs, but it's always better to check on the website of the specific place.
- Cash machines
- No shortage of ATMs in the city center. Few ATMs are also available close to the venue.
- prices shown in restaurants and shops do include VAT (DPH, Daň z přidané hodnoty).
- Vegetarian/vegan meals
- Vegetarian meals are not always easy to find. Vegan ones are more complicated, but few options are available (see below)
- When lunch and dinner are served
- Lunch: restaurants usually offer a "lunch menu" with 2-4 choices during working days in 11.00-14.00 timeframe (even if the more choices are usually available after 12.30). The lunch menus are usually visible on http://lunchtime.cz (use this link for restaurants close to the venue) or on the restaurant's website. Restaurants usually do not close after lunch time.
- Dinner: closing time of the kitchen depends on the place, but usually not before _at least_ 21.30 during working days and a bit later in the weekend. Many places are closed on Sunday.
- No fixed percentage tips, usually the price is rounded a bit. Usually when you pay, you state the amount you want to give out (price+tip).
Typical drinks served in bars: apart from beers, soft drinks, here are some local specialities:
- Kofola - aka Czech coke.
- South Moravian wines
- Becherovka is an herbal bitters, often drunk as a digestive aid that is produced in Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic
- Slivovice is a distilled beverage made from Damson plums, hence it is frequently called plum brandy. Beware, it's strong!
Some reference prices:
- Beer on tap is usually 25 CZK to 35 CZK
- Daily menu (lunchtime) is 80 CZK to 115 CZK
- Dinner is 150 CZK and more
Close to the venues
- Rebio Park, open Mon-Fri 11-14. Vegetarian, not vegan.
Vegetarian and vegan friendly
Bars and Pubs
This page was last edited on 4 September 2014, at 20:26. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.