Schedules/KDE4/4.0 Release Roadmap
- 1 KDE 4.0 Release Roadmap
- 1.1 Milestone: Subsystem Freeze
- 1.2 Milestone: kdelibs Hackathon Week
- 1.3 Milestone: kdelibs Soft API Freeze
- 1.4 Milestone: Alpha Release Tagged
- 1.5 Milestone: New Application Freeze and Usability and Accessibility Review
- 1.6 Milestone: Module Freeze
- 1.7 Milestone: Artwork Freeze
- 1.8 Milestone: Alpha2 Release
- 1.9 Milestone: Core Library API Freeze
- 1.10 Milestone: Beta Cycle
- 1.11 Milestone: Release Candidate Cycle
- 1.12 Milestone: KDE 4.0.0 Tagged
KDE 4.0 Release Roadmap
Milestone: Subsystem Freeze
Date: 2 April 2007
- After this date forward, no major KDE subsystem can be committed to kdelibs.
- The location of all classes are fixed within kdelibs.
- Trunk is expected to contain KDE4 code only now. This effectively means that all scripts processing translations for KDE3 in trunk will cease.
- Extragear applications that want to release based on KDE3 are expected to move to /branches/stable and work from there.
- The buildsystem requirements are fixed; i.e, must not require a version of cmake greater than 2.4.5.
- Qt 4.3 is required from here until release.
- 31 March - 2 April is Big Changes 3-Day Weekend to make the final set of big changes.
Milestone: kdelibs Hackathon Week
Start: 15 Apr 2007 (estimated) End: 21 Apr 2007 Duration: 1 week
- kdelibs polishing and fine-tuning.
- Developer meeting (possible, planning TBD).
- Full API review of Phonon and Solid (Oslo meeting)
Milestone: kdelibs Soft API Freeze
Date: 1 May 2007
- The kdelibs API is frozen. This means that the classes and interfaces are not allowed to change, except with permission of the core developers.
- To make an API change, post a kdelibs API exception request to the kde-core-devel mailinglist with an explanation and the code. If there are no objections after a week, the change can be committed.
NOTE: all affected modules must continue to compile and work as expected.
Milestone: Alpha Release Tagged
Date: 3 May 2007
The Alpha will be source only -- without translations.
Milestone: New Application Freeze and Usability and Accessibility Review
Date: 8 May 2007
- All applications expected to be released with KDE 4.0 must:
- use the new cmake buildsystem
- compile with Qt4.3 and Template:Module. (Using Q3Support and/or kde3support is ok, though not desired)
- have a handbook (that at least describes what the application does)
- New applications must be committed into Template:Module for review
- Resurrected applications must be committed back into their KDE main module
- Start Application Usability and Accessibility Review continuing until the start of the Beta Cycle
Milestone: Module Freeze
Date: 1 June 2007
- Any new application from Template:Module must be in place in its KDE main module.
- The KDE main modules are frozen for new applications.
- The main module maintainers must indicate if they will follow the release schedule or will divert and not be released together with KDE 4.0.
Milestone: Artwork Freeze
Start: 13 June 2007 (tentative)
- Last chance to commit a new (excluding oxygen) style or theme into kdeartwork.
- The work does not need to be 100% complete at this time, but it must be nearing completion so it can be reviewed and beta-tested.
Milestone: Alpha2 Release
Date: 27 June 2007
- The Alpha2 Release will be source only -- without translations.
- The tagging will occur on this date, with the actual release occurring soon after.
Milestone: Core Library API Freeze
Date: 24 July 2007
- The core library APIs are frozen solid. The core libraries include those in the kdesupport, kdelibs, and kdepimlibs modules.
Milestone: Beta Cycle
Start: 25 July 2007 End: 23 October 2007 Duration: 3 months (estimated)
- From this date forward, a Beta Release will be published every month until most grave bugs are resolved. The actual release of the Betas will occur soon after the tagging.
- Starting after the second Beta (30 August):
- application feature freeze commences: focus shifts to stabilizing the applications, fixing bugs, and improving art and documentation.
- The Beta Cycle will continue until the critical products are determined to be functional (the "minimum requirements"). The progress can be seen at this page
Milestone: Release Candidate Cycle
Start: 24 October 2007 End: 4 December 2007 Duration: 6 weeks (estimated)
- From this date forward, a Release Candidate will be released every three weeks until *all* grave bugs are resolved.
- After the first Release Candidate there is a total release freeze. This means only regressions (breakage caused due to the KDE4 port) or grave bugs can be fixed, but nothing else.
- With the first Release Candidate, a list of languages which will be included with the KDE 4.0 release will be made available, based on the usual rules.
Milestone: KDE 4.0.0 Tagged
Date: 4 January 2008
- This date is based on an estimated 3 Beta's and 2 Release Candidates.