Plasma 6 is built on top of Qt 6 and is scheduled to be released in late February 2024. This page outlines important information and major changes coming in Plasma 6.
On the KDE side:
- Plasma 6 issues
- Frameworks 6 issues + Plasma 6 issues
- All Qt6-related issues across all KDE software
- In a built-from-source dev session on top of a distro-provided Plasma 5 session, KWin effect IDs have changed, so they appear duplicated in the Effects KCM and you need to disable one of each, or else both play at the same thing and there are weird visual glitches.
- In a built-from-source dev session on top of a distro-provided Plasma 5 session, Qt5-using QML apps don't launch because they'll try to use the KF6 Kirigami. Workaround: For those apps, create custom .desktop files with QML2_IMPORT_PATH set to the built-from-source KF5 location in the "Environment Variables" field, and an absolute path to to the built-from-source executable in the "Program" field. See also https://phabricator.kde.org/T16483.
- In a built-from-source dev session on top of a distro-provided Plasma 5 session, all actions using KAuth are not working without manual user intervention. Examples of such actions include changing the screen brightness and saving root-owned files in Kate and KWrite. See https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kauth/-/merge_requests/45#note_754877.
Known upstream issues, no fix yet:
- "Pick Screen Color" button missing in color picker dialog on Wayland
- Emoji Selector lags when changing categories
- All WebViews look crusty and bad on fractional scales
Fixed upstream, but without a release yet:
- Several things crash in QWaylandWindow::createDecoration
- https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=479302 (Fixed in Qt 6.6.3)
- Deleting network connections doesn't work
- https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=473012 (Fixed in Qt 6.7)
- For built-from-source dev sessions, SDDM displays empty/incorrect session titles
- Fixed in SDDM after 0.20.0 was released, but there's no new release yet
How to use/test it
Developers and adventurous users are encouraged to test or even live on Plasma 6, to help get it into a releasable state faster. Before doing so, remember the rules of Plasma 6:
- Read through the list of major bugs and only use Plasma 6 in production if none of them is a deal-breaker for you. Maintain regular backups! This is mandatory.
- When you encounter an issue in Plasma 6 that was not present in Plasma 5, check the list of issues to see if it's already been reported. If you don't find anything, submit a bug report and add the "qt6" keyword to it.
- If you are technically able, try to fix issues you encounter yourself.
Options for testing Plasma 6 include the following:
- Build from source
- Fedora E.g. from https://openqa.fedoraproject.org/nightlies.html download and use "KDE live" and "Kinoite dvd-ostree".
- Gentoo Portage package.masked
- KaOS ISO
- KaOS Install
- KDE Neon Unstable ISO
- Nix Flake
- openSUSE Krypton At the last step (installation summary), select "Software" and tick "Plasma 6 Desktop Base".
If you're a distro packager reading this and your distro offers a Plasma 6 ISO/repo/etc, please add it to this list in alphabetical order!
- PlasmaComponents 2 has been removed. All usages should be changed to their PlasmaComponents 3 equivalents.
- Widget API has changed, and all widgets need to be ported. See the Plasma 6 widget porting guide to learn how
- Icons in Plasma styles are no longer honored; all icons now come from the systemwide icon theme. Plasma themes should migrate their icons to their companion icon themes, if they have one. For more information, read this.
- Icons requested by name with the
-symbolicsuffix will now always return a symbolic icon if the icon theme has one. Icon themes with colorful and symbolic versions of icons should suffix the symbolic versions with
-symbolic. For more information, read this.
- The first page in Welcome Center can now be customized. See the README file at https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-welcome for details on how to do this.
- The location on disk where Welcome Center finds custom pages has changed to
- Overview and Desktop Grid effect combined into one with better gestures
- Color management support for sRGB applications on Wayland
- HDR support on Wayland
- More types of default apps can be chosen
- Custom sort ordering for KRunner search results
- Desktop Cube effect returns
- Make wallpaper settings available in System Settings app
- "Dodge Windows" (aka "Intelligent auto-hide"/"Intellihide") visibility mode for Panels, replacing the old "Windows Can Cover" mode
- When rebooting, ability to opt out of installing a downloaded offline update
- "Shake to find cursor" KWin effect (off by default for now, but that may change)
- Colorblindness correction filters
- Support for sound themes
- New "Ocean" default sound theme
- Conversion between time zones in KRunner
- Islamic calendar support
- Power profiles OSD
- Display mirroring/reflection on Wayland
- Simultaneous password + fingerprint/smartcard/etc. auth on lock screen
- The Autostart KCM can now provide detailed technical information about why entries failed to start
- Optional automatic background crash reporting
User interface changes
- Make QtWidgets-based apps less framey
- Panel settings exposed in a much nicer way
- Icons throughout Plasma now all come from the systemwide icon theme, not the Plasma Style
- No more chunky page footers in System Settings
- Re-organize System Settings sidebar
- Smooth mouse wheel scrolling in QtQuick-based software
- Split Battery & Brightness widgets and integrate Night color into one of them
- Visualizer for Night Light transition time
Changes to default settings
(i.e. all of these things can be changed back if you don't like them)
- The Wayland session is now the default in SDDM
- Files and folders are now selected with a single-click and opened with a double-click
- Enable touchpad tap-to-click by default on Wayland
- "Thumbnail Grid" is the new Task Switcher style. Plasma 5's former default "Breeze" Task Switcher has been renamed to "Sidebar"
- Clicking on the scrollbar track now scrolls to the clicked location
- Scrolling on the desktop no longer switches virtual desktops
- The keyboard shortcut used to open the Activity Switcher has been changed to Meta+A
- Use Floating panel by default
- App launchers in the Traditional Task Manager no longer disappear when launched
- In the non-icons-Only Task Manager, app launcher icons no longer disappear the first time their app is launched
- KHotKeys (which provides the "Custom Shortcuts" page in System Settings) - it was unmaintained for over 7 years and its core functionality overlapped the newer, maintained, and better supported KGlobalAccel system. The Mouse actions app may be usable as a replacement for KHotkeys' mouse gestures feature
- The "Windowed widgets KRunner runner - it was confusing users into thinking that widgets (which are intentionally very small and limited) were apps
- The "Grid", "Informative", "Small Icons", "Text Only", and "Thumbnails" Task Switchers - they were worse than other existing ones
- The "Force Font DPI" setting on Wayland - the per-screen scaling system is now considered the only supported method of doing systemwide scaling
- The ability to configure (some) icon sizes semi-systemwide - It didn't work in more places than it did work, and people were trying unsuccessfully to use it instead of more suitable methods of scaling the system
- Per-Activity power settings - they were largely broken, increased code complexity of a fragile part of the system, and were and mostly possible to approximate using other settings
- The Air theme - it was unmaintained and somewhat broken
- Unsplash Picture of the Day provider - it stopped working after Unsplash revoked public API access due to abuse by AI data model training scrapers
- "Save settings for only this specific display arrangement" feature in KScreen - it was too buggy and nearly impossible to fix
- System Settings Icon view - having multiple navigation views for a settings app was just weird
- Windows Shares KCM - It was hyper-specialized and did not work properly in a variety of cases
- GUI support for the Synaptics touchpad drivers - driver unmaintained for years and has has not been recommended for a long time
- GUI support for the Evdev mouse driver - removed to de-complicate backend logic since Libinput is required anyway and includes a better mouse driver
- Quick Share widget - it was completely broken in Qt6, and even in the past when it was working better, it still never worked very well and suffered from multiple unfixable bugs
- "Active screen follows mouse" setting - it caused confusion for users of multi-screen effects when the active window and cursor were on different screens; now the screen considered active is always the one with the active window on it
- Touchpad widget - it did very little and was quite broken, and we were unable to make it work better in time for 6.0. It may return later, though
Work that's been decided on but not implemented yet
Postponed to Plasma 6.1, in progress
- Make window titlebars (slightly) accent colored by default
- Fake session restore on Wayland (just re-opening apps that were open last time)
Postponed to Plasma 6.1, not started yet
- Bring SDDM into KDE
- Consolidate desktop folder layouts
- Remove the "Disable (Some Plasma) Tooltips" setting
- Remove some redundant and confusing Notification settings
- Consolidate Wallpaper kcm with login screen and locking screen
This section is aimed at packagers/distributors for information about correctly packaging a KF6/Plasma 6 session. Please see: